I have no idea which degree I should do

Watch
cait1239
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have to write my personal statement before the end of summer but I don't even know what I should do. I'm currently studying History, Maths, Chemistry and ICT. I originally wanted to do Chemistry as a degree but I'm almost certain I failed my maths AS and all the unis I'm looking at need two science passes at a B and I much prefer the theory to the practical aspect so career wise it might not be great. ICT would be my best subject but it isn't a subject I'd say that I love. I'm unsure on what to pick and I'd really appreciate some advice? All I know is that I won't do maths or anything similar like accounting, etc.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cait1239)
I have to write my personal statement before the end of summer but I don't even know what I should do. I'm currently studying History, Maths, Chemistry and ICT. I originally wanted to do Chemistry as a degree but I'm almost certain I failed my maths AS and all the unis I'm looking at need two science passes at a B and I much prefer the theory to the practical aspect so career wise it might not be great. ICT would be my best subject but it isn't a subject I'd say that I love. I'm unsure on what to pick and I'd really appreciate some advice? All I know is that I won't do maths or anything similar like accounting, etc.
You don't need to write your personal statement before the end of the summer. Schools sometimes pressure students to write them early so teachers can read them in September, but if you don't know what you want to study then there is absolutely no point writing one now. A personal statement should not be rushed, your teachers know this - don't let them pressure you into choosing a subject just to meet a school deadline. Take a look at these:

Personal Statement Builder
Writing your personal statement
Personal Statement FAQs
Library of old personal statements

Nobody can advise you what to study, we don't know your interests. But I don't think you should discount chemistry until you know how you've done at AS. Even if you have failed maths, you could still study chemistry at uni - not all universities require two sciences. If you don't love ICT, don't do it at university. Study something you enjoy or you will likely end up dropping out or failing.
Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cait1239)
It's really tricky to make this decision now before you've even finished one year of college! Do you have any ideas of what you would like to do as a career?
cait1239
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fox Corner)
It's really tricky to make this decision now before you've even finished one year of college! Do you have any ideas of what you would like to do as a career?
We'll my ideal career would be just research or teaching but preferably a mix of the two
cait1239
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snufkin)
You don't need to write your personal statement before the end of the summer. Schools sometimes pressure students to write them early so teachers can read them in September, but if you don't know what you want to study then there is absolutely no point writing one now. A personal statement should not be rushed, your teachers know this - don't let them pressure you into choosing a subject just to meet a school deadline. Take a look at these:

Personal Statement Builder
Writing your personal statement
Personal Statement FAQs
Library of old personal statements

Nobody can advise you what to study, we don't know your interests. But I don't think you should discount chemistry until you know how you've done at AS. Even if you have failed maths, you could still study chemistry at uni - not all universities require two sciences. If you don't love ICT, don't do it at university. Study something you enjoy or you will likely end up dropping out or failing.
Thank you very much for the resources I really appreciate it! Yeah I do want to study something I enjoy I just hope I have the right results for it, I'll keep chemistry in mind thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (31)
27.19%
Less motivated (83)
72.81%

Watched Threads