Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I am fully aware of the countless posts on here about asthma and I can guarantee I've sifted through just about all of them however, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice.I am currently 16 years old and on prescription for asthma which was diagnosed for me at a very young age. However, as I have got older the affects and symptoms no longer seem to occur to me and I have decided that if I am going to pursue a career in the Army I need to come of my inhaler prescription now and wait the 4 YEARS before applying (I plan to study for A levels and a degree in this time). I am just wondering if the army would still accept me as a new recruit even after being 4 years free of any symptoms as I have read so many stories,of people being declared medically unfit for similar situations such as mine.

Just to clarify I have never had an asthma attack and I am fully fit (I run cross country for my county and I am a member of my local running club, triathlon club and football club)

Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by R26)
    Hello

I am fully aware of the countless posts on here about asthma and I can guarantee I've sifted through just about all of them however, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice.I am currently 16 years old and on prescription for asthma which was diagnosed for me at a very young age. However, as I have got older the affects and symptoms no longer seem to occur to me and I have decided that if I am going to pursue a career in the Army I need to come of my inhaler prescription now and wait the 4 YEARS before applying (I plan to study for A levels and a degree in this time). I am just wondering if the army would still accept me as a new recruit even after being 4 years free of any symptoms as I have read so many stories,of people being declared medically unfit for similar situations such as mine.

Just to clarify I have never had an asthma attack and I am fully fit (I run cross country for my county and I am a member of my local running club, triathlon club and football club)

Thanks
    Hi, It's ArmyJobs here,

You are welcome to apply for the British Army when you 3 years clear from asthma (by the time you are due to start you will be around 4 years clear). It would be a good idea to see your GP to obtain a statement that you are no clear (if this is the case) and free from medication, then submit this with your application form.

Regards
    ArmyJobs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArmyJobs)
    Hi, It's ArmyJobs here,

You are welcome to apply for the British Army when you 3 years clear from asthma (by the time you are due to start you will be around 4 years clear). It would be a good idea to see your GP to obtain a statement that you are no clear (if this is the case) and free from medication, then submit this with your application form.

Regards
    ArmyJobs
    Thank you very much for this information. Would it in any way hinder my application with the fact that I would have a recent past history of asthma (once 3 years clear) or would it no longer be hinderence for me in the application process?

Many thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.