Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just finished my first week of NCS and I'm feeling a bit rubbish tbh. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I just can't seem to fully open up in group situations.

I have a nice group and everyone has banter with each other but I don't really contribute - it sounds sad but I feel like I don't know what to say in spontaneous situations with my group. Everyone else in my group has really bonded but I've only bonded with about half of my team. I feel like I'm really trying, but I feel so useless as well, I mean everyone else is effortlessly making jokes and having a laugh and I just don't know what to say. I've made a few comments in these situations but no one really picks up on or responds to them.

I am quite socially awkward but I thought NCS would be different. The really shy people at the beginning have really come out of their shell way more than me.

Also, my whole wave has a big group chat but I just feel so not confident to post anything. Some of them met up together but I just feel like I'd be so awkward and unsure of what to say.

Tbh, I'm feeling super down about next week because the first week is where everyone is meant to bond but I feel like I haven't fully done that. I have talked to some people outside my group as well as most of the people in my group, but when it comes to whole group situations I just am not spontaneous or entertaining or funny like the others and honestly my own social incompetence is annoying me - I feel so anxious ideky.

I'm kind of dreading next week and idk what I can do

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? Any advice would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rocketship)
    I just finished my first week of NCS and I'm feeling a bit rubbish tbh. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I just can't seem to fully open up in group situations.

I have a nice group and everyone has banter with each other but I don't really contribute - it sounds sad but I feel like I don't know what to say in spontaneous situations with my group. Everyone else in my group has really bonded but I've only bonded with about half of my team. I feel like I'm really trying, but I feel so useless as well, I mean everyone else is effortlessly making jokes and having a laugh and I just don't know what to say. I've made a few comments in these situations but no one really picks up on or responds to them.

I am quite socially awkward but I thought NCS would be different. The really shy people at the beginning have really come out of their shell way more than me.

Also, my whole wave has a big group chat but I just feel so not confident to post anything. Some of them met up together but I just feel like I'd be so awkward and unsure of what to say.

Tbh, I'm feeling super down about next week because the first week is where everyone is meant to bond but I feel like I haven't fully done that. I have talked to some people outside my group as well as most of the people in my group, but when it comes to whole group situations I just am not spontaneous or entertaining or funny like the others and honestly my own social incompetence is annoying me - I feel so anxious ideky.

I'm kind of dreading next week and idk what I can do
    Hey, I did NCS in Spring and on the very first and second day of the first part, I felt really awkward and not really part of the team. But it just clicked and I just went for it, I was the shiest member of the group but I tried my best to communicate with my team and because of that, I won the Turtle award.

Now, I am aware that you are moving onto the second part, which I think gives you a better opportunity to improve your relationship with your team. I know this may be hard, but you need to keep making contributions, coming up with ideas, stating your opinions, participate in conversations, show enthusiasm, laugh with your team, agree or disagree, show you're enjoying yourself. That way, your team will get to know you and you will feel a lot comfortable with them.

Last tip - You don't need to be making jokes all the time or whatever, but if you keep pushing, you will lose your awkwardness and you will discover friends for life.

Hope this helps

P.S. Talking in the group chat is the easiest and best place to start!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IKEAPanda37)
    Hey, I did NCS in Spring and on the very first and second day of the first part, I felt really awkward and not really part of the team. But it just clicked and I just went for it, I was the shiest member of the group but I tried my best to communicate with my team and because of that, I won the Turtle award.

Now, I am aware that you are moving onto the second part, which I think gives you a better opportunity to improve your relationship with your team. I know this may be hard, but you need to keep making contributions, coming up with ideas, stating your opinions, participate in conversations, show enthusiasm, laugh with your team, agree or disagree, show you're enjoying yourself. That way, your team will get to know you and you will feel a lot comfortable with them.

Last tip - You don't need to be making jokes all the time or whatever, but if you keep pushing, you will lose your awkwardness and you will discover friends for life.

Hope this helps

P.S. Talking in the group chat is the easiest and best place to start!
    Thank you for the advice
    I'm full on dreading next week but I'm hoping things will be different. On Monday I was honestly considering quitting NCS, and today when we were eating as a group I just was silent fml. One upside is that the people in my dorm next week seem nice (I know/have got to know two of them). It sounds stupid but I don't get some of the jokes and slang and stuff but I'm gonna try and compensate with ideas and more input in conversations like you suggested.

One other thing that's getting me down is that when talking to friends from other NCS waves they seem to be having such an amazing time and I wish I could be like them...

I feel so awkward in the group chat omg! I will try more though - I keep on trying but I don't think it's enough (I just wish I could be effortlessly social and spontaneous but obvious I was not blessed with these traits!)

Once again, thanks for replying - I'm just going to give week 2 my best shot and see how it goes

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.