Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Potentially sprained elbow - recovery time? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I landed on an outstretched arm yesterday and my elbow clicked after bending in the wrong direction (didn't pop thankfully, just a couple of fairly loud clicks).

It still hurts today, but I can rotate my arm and just about straighten it and just about touch my shoulder.

Relaxing the pain is almost non existent but it hurts quite badly if I do bend my arm a lot or straighten it.

I will go to the doctor if there's no improvement by Sunday but my problem is that I'm due to play in goals in a charity football tournament on Monday. Will I be able to? :/*
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Should_be_studying)
    I landed on an outstretched arm yesterday and my elbow clicked after bending in the wrong direction (didn't pop thankfully, just a couple of fairly loud clicks).

It still hurts today, but I can rotate my arm and just about straighten it and just about touch my shoulder.

Relaxing the pain is almost non existent but it hurts quite badly if I do bend my arm a lot or straighten it.

I will go to the doctor if there's no improvement by Sunday but my problem is that I'm due to play in goals in a charity football tournament on Monday. Will I be able to? :/*
    It wouldn't be wise to do any activities that are going to hurt your arm, you need to allow the arm time to heal and avoid causing further damage. Falls on outstretched hands are a common cause of radial head fractures so if there is swelling, reduced movement and pain it would be a good idea to get this x-rayed (a GP or walk-in centre can advise whether this is necessary following an examination). It is important that you gently exercise your elbow joint and keep it moving.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Should_be_studying)

Apply the RICE method (Rest, Ice, Compression and elevation) to prevent it from getting worse and prevent swellong, as well as reduce the pain.

Don't forget to visit your GP

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.