Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am a non-EU citizen who dreams about studying medicine in the UK. I know how difficult it is, especially right now. I have researched quite a lot
    So I have been living in the EU country for 5 years now, 4 years with permanent residence and my parent is working here and living with me. I read that some unis might concider me as a Home/EU student,do you know if that is correct? All the links about seem to be down for some reason
    I cannot afford to pay 30 thousand a year just for tuition...And there are no scholarships availible.
    Can somebody please give me some advice on that, I would consider any suggestion
    I really do not want to give up on my dream, although I know there are other options where to study and it is not the end of the world. Still, I think I ought to try
    Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I think EU residents (3 years or more) are eligible for home fees. Unis are the best people to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelialv)
    Hi, I am a non-EU citizen who dreams about studying medicine in the UK. I know how difficult it is, especially right now. I have researched quite a lot
    So I have been living in the EU country for 5 years now, 4 years with permanent residence and my parent is working here and living with me. I read that some unis might concider me as a Home/EU student,do you know if that is correct? All the links about seem to be down for some reason
    I cannot afford to pay 30 thousand a year just for tuition...And there are no scholarships availible.
    Can somebody please give me some advice on that, I would consider any suggestion
    I really do not want to give up on my dream, although I know there are other options where to study and it is not the end of the world. Still, I think I ought to try
    Thanks
    Google UKCISA and check the rules yourself. If in doubt, email Admissions. .
    Although Brexit can (and will) change these rules, it will not happen overnight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelialv)
    Thanks
    I'm not 100% sure but I think you need to be EU national or a family member of one and have lived in EU for 3 years. Just having lived in EU is not enough unless you became a citizen of that country. Try looking at the rules in UKCISA website.

All I see that would apply to you is if you have a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode in UK or have indefinite leave to enter/remain in UK. For everything else you need to be EU national or have lived in UK or have refugee status

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everybody! I will probably have to study somewhere else though

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!
    I am looking to study medicine in the UK and am going to Apply for the 2017 intake.
    I am currently an Indian citizen but my father is a EU ( Portuguese citizen ) and my procedure is underway.
    My question is if i apply to the Universities , will i be considered for fee as an international or EU?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ridhasaraff)
    Hey there!
    I am looking to study medicine in the UK and am going to Apply for the 2017 intake.
    I am currently an Indian citizen but my father is a EU ( Portuguese citizen ) and my procedure is underway.
    My question is if i apply to the Universities , will i be considered for fee as an international or EU?
    You need to have spent at least 3 years living in EU if you want to be considered European student because of your father's nationality. Which means you will most likely be considered an international student for your fee status

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devify)
    You need to have spent at least 3 years living in EU if you want to be considered European student because of your father's nationality. Which means you will most likely be considered an international student for your fee status

Hey thank you for replying .I have another question ..Say that I apply as an international student now and do 3 years of medicine as one.. Can I be eligible for the EU fees for the finals 2 years of my course ? ( that is after having lived 3 years in uk as an EU citizen)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ridhasaraff)
    Hey thank you for replying .
    I have another question ..
    Say that I apply as an international student now and do 3 years of medicine as one.. Can I be eligible for the EU fees for the finals 2 years of my course ? ( that is after having lived 3 years in uk as an EU citizen)
    They count it from the start of your course. So if your course is 5 years, you will still not be considered European student. But if you did a 3 year course and then applied for another course afterwards, they you would be considered European student as long as you meet other requirements. However, that is with the current rules. By then Brexit should have fully happened so it is likely that European students won't get reduced fees anymore.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.