The Student Room Group

Whitby, North Yorkshire

I'm searching for a holiday for my family for this summer (bit late i know), and i'm trying to find one up North (so i can visit Durham, hehe), even though my dad is moaning about the really long drive (8 hours+). I've found one in a place called Whitby, which is quite near Scarborough. Anyway, i was wondering if anyone knows what this part of England is like, especially what there is to do in the area? I'll probably not get any replies to this thread *waits* :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Scarborough's horrible.

How about in The Lakes? That's not far from Durham.
Reply 2
SiAnY
I'm searching for a holiday for my family for this summer (bit late i know), and i'm trying to find one up North (so i can visit Durham, hehe), even though my dad is moaning about the really long drive (8 hours+). I've found one in a place called Whitby, which is quite near Scarborough. Anyway, i was wondering if anyone knows what this part of England is like, especially what there is to do in the area? I'll probably not get any replies to this thread *waits* :biggrin:

that area of yorkshire is beautiful - yunno heartbeat?...well its basically all like that

why not stay in York? i stayed there when I went to visit durham and also got to see York and Nottingham too
Reply 3
Whitby's nice! We were looking to move there from way down here in Cambridge! It's all coasty and county-like at the same time!
Reply 4
Kate A
Whitby's nice! We were looking to move there from way down here in Cambridge! It's all coasty and county-like at the same time!

and has great fish and chips AND the lucky duck shop :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 5
The best Fish and Chip Shops are Bizzie Lizzie's in Skipton and Belfields in Burnley.
Reply 6
charlord

Wow, just my kind of place :wink: i lurvee chips :cool:
Reply 7
My family goes there literally every year for no good reason whatsoever. It's okay, I guess. Certainly not my cup of tea.
Reply 8
charlord

Lol! And a very exciting ship, and moving bridge. And lots of jet - black stone stuff! Don't you all want to go now?
Reply 9
Kate A
Lol! And a very exciting ship, and moving bridge. And lots of jet - black stone stuff! Don't you all want to go now?

YES! YES! *Squeals with excitement* :biggrin:
Reply 10
You'll have to visit Fountain's Abbey if you go there, a very beautiful place (near Harrogate, which is a fair drive from Whitby).
Reply 11
Isn't Richard Whitely from Whitby?
Reply 12
Whitby :thinks: I've been there once for a school holiday and once for a familly holiday.

Erm...Sea side, nice(ish) beach, church with 99 steps to walk up hill, museams on countless things and a ghost walk. Nice jewellery stuff with all the black jet.

If I can remember anything else, I'll post.
Reply 13
Harrogate's the best part of Yorkshire, but Cumbria's my favourite county at the moment.
Reply 14
I think I remember reading that Where the Heart Is is meant to be set around Whitby.
Reply 15
Born and Bred is the best country drama, and that's set very near me
I'm now looking at a holiday place near Lake Windemere. However, again there seems to be a severe shortage of things to do in the area!
Reply 17
Yeah, I do remeber the Whitby school trip being dominated by museams....compared with when we went to Bude which had the Milkway centre and other fun stuff.
Reply 18
SiAnY
I'm now looking at a holiday place near Lake Windemere. However, again there seems to be a severe shortage of things to do in the area!

There is not! It depends on your interests but there's sooo much to do in the Lakes, especially if you enjoy watersports/walking/visiting historical sites/literature/gingerbread
Reply 19
SiAnY

It's so pretty in that area - a few years ago I went on a PGL to Patterdale Hall, so if your family are into adventure holidays...:tongue: massive lake, and the watersport facilities are good.

Latest

Trending

Trending