Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Whitby, North Yorkshire watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Lots of RAF planes fly past making you nearly fall in the Lake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    There is not! It depends on your interests but there's sooo much to do in the Lakes, especially if you enjoy watersports/walking/visiting historical sites/literature/gingerbread
    Not keen on watersports but we like walking (except my sister) and i love gingerbread! Lol. I'm sure we'd find something then. I like just visiting towns but my sister moans her head off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Not keen on watersports but we like walking (except my sister) and i love gingerbread! Lol. I'm sure we'd find something then. I like just visiting towns but my sister moans her head off.
    Plenty of nice towns to visit and the Lakes is probably the best walking area in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of nice towns to visit and the Lakes is probably the best walking area in Europe.
    Yay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlord)
    and has great fish and chips AND the lucky duck shop
    The lucky duck shop is ace!

ReputationRep:
    The Lakes and Whitby r both beautiful places to visit,.. used to visit them both regularly for hols.. more whitby now cos its closer.. But i would recommend both! xx

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to visit Fountain's Abbey if you go there, a very beautiful place (near Harrogate, which is a fair drive from Whitby).
    *shudders* Oh the memories of Year 10 History coursework.... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    *shudders* Oh the memories of Year 10 History coursework.... :eek:
    It is a nice place, maybe not to study but to wander around aimlessly.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't any of you go to the Dracula experience in Whitby? It has to be done.

My mum's from Whitby. It's a small fishing villiage in a very steep cleft in the coastline. basically one side of the harbour has lots of little shops selling jet (black polished stone made popular by Queen Victoria. good for mourning!), sweets (nougat pyramids!), rock, glass (the infamous lucky duck shop makes all sorts of glass things and you can watch them being made.) and fossils. You can get your own fossils from the beach though! One this side there is a disused abbey, but you have to climb lots of steps to get to it. Dracula crawls up the cliff here.

On the other side of the harbour are all the normal shops like Woolies, the station, dozens of fish and chip shops, the fish market and lost of tacky amusement places. The Dracula experience which I already mentioned. Plus the jaw bones of a whale made into an arch so you can stand inside and have your photo taken!

The place where Heartbeat was set is called Goathland. You've also seen it as Hogsmead station in the first Harry Potter film. The North York Moors railway stops there.

The place you are considering at Windermere wouldn't be Bowness would it? that's the one place in the Lake District I'd avoid. i've heard it described as the 'Blackpool of the lakes'. Insanely crowded by tourists and a bit tacky. Even if you don't like watersports you will probably enjoy crossing the lake on the ferry. Lakeside and Ambleside are both really nice places to visit/stay. The thing about the lakes is, all that water comes from rain......

ReputationRep:
    It is a nice place, maybe not to study but to wander around aimlessly.
    Gorgeous place, but I'll always associate it with coursework now. Like you say though, I'd highly recommend visiting if you get the chance. In fact, anywhere in the Dales is worth visiting.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.