Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have a few questions about the pill. Firstly, will it ease my period cramps? I suffer unbearably for the first few days. will the pill make me gain alot of weight? I have seen it happen to people before. Oh and also, can i request to see a female doctor when I am booking my appointment, or is that really weird? My GP is a male and although he knows me very well and has been my doctor for the last 15 years, i would feel more comfortable talking about this with a female.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have a few questions about the pill. Firstly, will it ease my period cramps? I suffer unbearably for the first few days. will the pill make me gain alot of weight? I have seen it happen to people before. Oh and also, can i request to see a female doctor when I am booking my appointment, or is that really weird? My GP is a male and although he knows me very well and has been my doctor for the last 15 years, i would feel more comfortable talking about this with a female.
    How the pill affects you depends on your body. For some people it makes the cramps better, for others there's no difference there. Some people lose weight some people gain weight. First month can be bumpy, personally I felt really crappy some of the days, woke up feeling sick in the middle of the night a few times but after the first month it was fine. It did not affect my weight at all and my cramps are still the same the only thing is it's now regular. It runs in my family that periods are very irregular. I would sometimes have a period with 2-3 weeks in between and sometimes it would be 2-3 months.

You can easily end it tho without consequences so just try running with it for 3 months then you can stop and try a different type of contraception like IUD or an implant.

You can try requesting a female but I'm unsure if they would grant you that wish. The male doctors are used to it and it's a very simple process. You shouldn't feel embarrassed about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    of course you can request to see a female doctor! that's a totally normal thing to ask, they won't even think of it as weird. and as for the other things, discuss that with your doctor. Most of the time, the pill does help with your period cramps BUT one of the pills I was on made me have the same periods, and also made me gain weight. When I voiced these worries to my doctor, she found a pill (mini pill called Feanolla) which is not as well known for causing weight gain, and also most often causes periods to lighten significantly, or completely stop. I do think that you should e very inquisitive with your doctor to help them find the pill most suited to you, but do remember that contraceptive methods such as the pill that are very trial and error, so it might take a few trials before you find the one perfect for you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.