Turn on thread page Beta

Which national daily newspaper is best? watch

• View Poll Results: Which is the best national daily newspaper?
    The Daily Telegraph
    14.29%
    The Guardian
    26.79%
    The Times
    26.79%
    The Independant
    15.48%
    The Financial Times
    2.98%
    The Daily Mail
    5.36%
    The Daily Express
    0.60%
    The Sun
    1.19%
    The Mirror
    2.98%
    The Daily Star
    0%
    The Daily Sport
    0%
    Other
    1.19%
    I don't read a newspaper
    2.38%

ReputationRep:
    Which paper do you prefer to read, and why?

ReputationRep:
    I read a few. The Independent and the Daily Telegraph are the best read IMO.

ReputationRep:
    The Times and The Telegraph.

ReputationRep:
    The Times has gone seriously downhill, I think. It's still the paper we have delivered from the newsagents but my family have really gone off it. I prefer The Independent or The Guardian (the latter being the best read imo) although The Times is still fine for when I'm not quite in the right sort of mood to be reading about how we're all going to die when the ice caps melt. When I'm at uni I generally have those poisonous free newspapers shoved in my hand by the bloke who stands next to the station. They're even worse than the Daily Mail.

ReputationRep:
    Times and Telegraph. Times has better political humour (cartoons etc) while the telegraph has top class crosswords. That is the extent of my intellectualism.

ReputationRep:
    The Independent and the Guardian. I prefer the former, because it is less intellectual, but just as informative. It also has a sense of humour where the Guardian simply doesn't. I am also in love with a few of the Indy columnists, whom i agree with all the time, meaning i just have to buy it every day, as they are dispersed over a week.

I read the Guardian to get Polly Toynbee, and the Indy to get Deborah Orr, Johann Ari, Yamin Alibhai-Brown and Mark Steel. Joan Smith is usually spot-on too. I steer clear of all right-wing papars bar the Daily Mail, which was always left in my uni kitchen by the girl i couldn't stand. I read it because i like to know what the enemy is cooking up...

ReputationRep:
    Guardian is best for sports, Telegraph is good on weekends (for the little magazines that come with it) and the Independent's comment section is just people crying. I generally just use the web for news.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really read any particular newspaper, but if my parents buy one or there's one lying around I'll read it.

ReputationRep:
    During term time, I try to read The Grauniad, The Times, The Sun and The Mirror.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by decola)
    Guardian is best for sports, Telegraph is good on weekends (for the little magazines that come with it) and the Independent's comment section is just people crying. I generally just use the web for news.
    Shut it you. I almost always agree with the comments pages, unless they have the right-wingers in. Can't stand Bruce Anderson or Dominic Lawson..

ReputationRep:
    The Telegraph, it has real Tory news unlike the sensationalist, lefty, liberal Independent and Guardian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    Shut it you. I almost always agree with the comments pages, unless they have the right-wingers in. Can't stand Bruce Anderson or Dominic Lawson..
    I was just being silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan_man)
    The Telegraph, it has real Tory news unlike the sensationalist, lefty, liberal Independent and Guardian.
    I find the Telegraph a bit boring if you're looking for comment and the like, it always seems to be very mundane, unoffensive stuff. the obituaries in it are top notch though. I generally read 'left-leaning' papers just to annoy/anger myself. I'm more productive when angry.

ReputationRep:
    I find the Telegraph a bit boring if you're looking for comment and the like, it always seems to be very mundane, unoffensive stuff. the obituaries in it are top notch though. I generally read 'left-leaning' papers just to annoy/anger myself. I'm more productive when angry.
    Very true; same here. Also: Know your enemy :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yes reading lefty papers is rather fun sometimes, I remember picking up a copy of the Guardian from the school library, it had no real news in but a nice thing about cooking tomatoes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan_man)
    Yes reading lefty papers is rather fun sometimes, I remember picking up a copy of the Guardian from the school library, it had no real news in but a nice thing about cooking tomatoes.
    Actually, yes: one good thing about the Guardian is the Technology supplement, which basically keeps one abreast of the latest inventions in the field of invading one's privacy.

ReputationRep:
    The Independent, without a doubt. I also occasionally read The Guardian.

By the way, OP, can't you modify the poll to make votes public? It would be interesting to see what different members vote for. (I don't know if you can modify it in this way after it has started, ask a moderator)

ReputationRep:
    I literally don't read newspapers. The only time I do is when i'm travelling to and from uni on the train. There's nowt more romantic than walking between Kings X and Kings X Thameslink in the rain when it's dark (but filled with artificial light), all filled with people and cars, dragging a heavy bag on unwashed clothes and holding a newspaper over your head to keep you dry.

Aaaahhh.... Love it. I also read it during the train journey, but my dad buys newspapers at the weekend based on which has the best free DVD. Even when it's there, I don't read it. That's what the internet's for!

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I read, or have at some point read, over half of those on the list. Could we not have had a multiple-choice poll? :p:

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian, of course.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.