The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
have you seen todays (well, today as in 8 hours from now) front page on the Express? :| The topic begins with D and mentions a cover up.
The Times, I like the columns and it's pretty thick and lasts my train journey!
the metro easily

times lost my respect when they called lyon well the king of the jungle....repeatedly!!!
Reply 163
Consie
have you seen todays (well, today as in 8 hours from now) front page on the Express? :| The topic begins with D and mentions a cover up.

That ****ing newspaper is bloody obsessed with Princess Diana. I wish they'd just drop it and all the other rubbish conspiracy theories they come up with too.

At least the Sun et al are just trash. The Express pretends to be legit - it's the worst newspaper on earth.
Reply 164
what is teh attraction to diana though? I dont have anything against her but i dont get why papers/people are obsessed with her. Do you think people buy it becasue theyre interested, or they buy it and think theyre supposed to be interested in it becasue the express/mail claims to represent british values ect.
Reply 165
She's like a modern day Jesus or something - died for our sins and all...
Consie
what is teh attraction to diana though? I dont have anything against her but i dont get why papers/people are obsessed with her. Do you think people buy it becasue theyre interested, or they buy it and think theyre supposed to be interested in it becasue the express/mail claims to represent british values ect.

You know, it isn't so much about Diana as it's about the whole charade. There is a man who was accused of being over the limit and on drugs when the car crashed. There is thus a family who have that on their heads. If it isn;t true, then he needs to be relinquished from the sigma of being to blame for her death. I see a legitimate need to continue to push for the truth, from at least this angle.
Reply 167
Shes also not that fit and doesnt sound very intelligent. Im sure she was a nice woman, but I think she cultivated her media persona well.

Anyone seen the cover of this week's Economist? Its a belter. I love how they claim to solve massive problems (like the population decline problem) and then do it in 1 side of A4 :smile:
The times for the crosswords and other puzzles
Reply 169
Consie

i dont think so. my mum's not particularly "british" yet everytime the express (usually) or daily mail (not so often) has diana across the front she gets it.

she married into that outdated ridiculous institution, now she's dead, people need to get over it
Reply 170
It always pisses me off that people who die before their time get posthumous virtue attached to them. Why? I don’t want to come across as a Diani hater, I’m not, but she was clearly savvy about coming across as a very caring 'nice guy', you can see it clear as day in archive footage. I don’t see how people can be naive enough not to pick up on it.
Reply 171
so what if she was putting it on or genuinely nice. there are millions of nice people who die every year, why's she so special? she got knocked up by one of them special people who are much better than us mere mortals.
Reply 172
you have to remember their blood is blue. Big difference.
Reply 173
Financial Times/The Times all the way =]
If its during the week its either times/guardian/independant or morning star if I feel like going on strike. On Saturdays it either the Indie or the Guardian depending on whats got best headline or freebook/dvd (I liked the poker one I got last sat in indie), ON Sundays its either the indie or the Times.

The Times confuses me, It seems to change its politics each week. Especially between the culture pages and the News bit.
Reply 175
off all the people id love to smack, culture correspondents probably top the list.

anyone watch newsnight review last night? Did you see that film critic/culture writer or whatever? Short hair and that, ****ing feminist, spoke like a **** and needed a smack. But not as much as she needed a cock.
The Times, can't say I'm that fussed though, I'll read the Grauniad and The Independant. Though I would not ever read The Daily Mail, Daily Star, Daily Sport, The Sun or the The Mirror.
Reply 177
billyboymccoy
If its during the week its either times/guardian/independant or morning star if I feel like going on strike. On Saturdays it either the Indie or the Guardian depending on whats got best headline or freebook/dvd (I liked the poker one I got last sat in indie), ON Sundays its either the indie or the Times.

The Times confuses me, It seems to change its politics each week. Especially between the culture pages and the News bit.

what's your signature on about?

Consie
off all the people id love to smack, culture correspondents probably top the list.

anyone watch newsnight review last night? Did you see that film critic/culture writer or whatever? Short hair and that, ****ing feminist, spoke like a **** and needed a smack. But not as much as she needed a cock.

^o)

:rolleyes:
I try to read The Guardian every day. I used to like The Independent but the style of its front page really annoys me and I don't think it's very effective.
The Guardian has an excellent feature section and its supplements (especially the media/reviews supplements) are a very good read. I also love reading their weekend magazine. However, sometimes the front page is a little bit dry.
Reply 179
Laces
I try to read The Guardian every day. I used to like The Independent but the style of its front page really annoys me and I don't think it's very effective.
The Guardian has an excellent feature section and its supplements (especially the media/reviews supplements) are a very good read. I also love reading their weekend magazine. However, sometimes the front page is a little bit dry.

I stopped taking the reviews section too seriously after readign a review a while ago on Lost in Translation where the author went on for like 8 paragraphs about how the movie was racist and portrayed Japanese people in a bad light, without once actually talking about the actual movie. It was like reading some of the music reviews off of pitchfork, where the guy reviewing will sometimes just go on about random **** while only sparingly talking about the actual music.

Boo :nn:

Latest

Trending

Trending