The Student Room Group

Universities that are easy to get into for Computer Science

I am an american student wanting to go to a british university and I was wondering what the easier unis are because my grades in high school weren't too awesome. thanks!
Look for unis you meet the entry requirements for. No good uni is 'easy' to get into. They have academic standards to maintain.
Original post by alleycat393
Look for unis you meet the entry requirements for. No good uni is 'easy' to get into. They have academic standards to maintain.

thank you! i appreciate it!! :smile:
Original post by elliott18picone
I am an american student wanting to go to a british university and I was wondering what the easier unis are because my grades in high school weren't too awesome. thanks!

Here's a list of courses for you to look through - https://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/search?subject=computer-science
Original post by Edminzodo
Here's a list of courses for you to look through - https://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/search?subject=computer-science

thank you so much!!!!!

What grade/GPA are you expecting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
UK universities have varying degrees of success trying to map US education qualifications to UK standards. Some don't understand the US system very well at all, and others are as fluent in it as US universities are.

Almost certainly, high school grades aren't likely to be accepted by themselves by either camp. The institutions which don't understand the US system will treat high school like secondary school, and assume you still need A-level qualifications, with a large sub-section of these accepting AP courses in lieu of A-levels. The institutions which do understand the US system well generally won't care much about your high school grades, but will require good SATs or ACT scores. Or again AP courses in lieu of A-levels.

The best way to map US and UK qualifications is to directly compare the US Associate degree (two years after high school) to the UK Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE, one year after A-levels and secondary school). This can sometimes allow you to apply to the second year of a three-year degree course, depending on the university, the department, and the content of the degree/cert.

The other route would be to start here with A-levels, then university. Certainly, whichever UK institution you apply to, you will need to prove to them that you have the ability to study successfully at A-level expectations. You'll need to figure out how you're going to do that first, then you'll need to find out which institutions will accept that proof.Applying to universities works differently in the UK, and you'll want to familiarise yourself with UCAS. Here's an okay first step on that, and I'd recommend reading through the related international tips:
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/international-and-eu-students

I think you need switch from thinking about 'getting in' and 'acceptance rates' to 'do my current AP grades and subjects fit the requirements of this course at this uni?', 'do my SAT scores fit what they've stated on their website?', 'do the modules and courses on offer interest me?', 'do I like the location of the university?' and so on.

You're limited to 5 choices on UCAS, so do choose carefully and methodically.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending