Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, just a quick question, but it's been bugging me for a while.
    I have just taken my AS Levels & will be applying to Uni this autumn.
    I took one A Level (German) a year early [so will be receiving the A2 grade along with my AS grades this summer.]

If I were to receive a conditional offer from a uni for, say, AAA, but then only achieved AAB in the summer of 2008, would they still have to give me the place because I already have an A in the German A level? Or does the offer only 'count' for the A level results I'm about to receive?

Hope that made sense & sorry if this is a really silly question >_<.

ReputationRep:
    I think each uni would specify which subjects you could include in say an AAA offer. I think as long as German was relevant to whatever you're applying for at uni, it would be included in the offer - or they may take into account the fact you've already done it and make an easier offer - for example if the normal offer was AAB and you have an A in german then the offer they give you might be AB in the other subjects that you haven't completed.

ReputationRep:
    Aah...
    Well, I'm applying for architecture, and they don't really specify what subjects they want, as long as it's "a mix."

ReputationRep:
    Unless you are a German native, I know that they will make a two grade offer because I know someone who was applying for vetinary science who did Maths A-level in his first year and then didn't do Further Maths who got a two grade offer.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm Austrian... lived in Vienna when I was a young 'un.
    Still had to go to lessons & learn for the A level though... hmm.

Seems extremely unlikely that they would only give me a two grade offer.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it unlikely that you will get a two grade offer? They want three a-levels, you have one which is an A so you need two more grades to fulfil that three a-level requirement so they make you a two grade offer. It has happened to a lot of people in my school for people who have taken the maths a-level a year early.

ReputationRep:
    You will more than likely get a two grade offer, since you've already met one of the grade requirements. It'll be AA or AB.

ReputationRep:
    Won't it make a difference that it's [technically] my first language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hispanic-Impressions)
    Won't it make a difference that it's [technically] my first language?
    Oh it's your first language. I thought you were in Austria when you were young. Wait, when did you come to England. Did you learn to speak German in Austria or England?

ReputationRep:
    I was born in Vienna and lived there until I was 10. Been living over here ever since. So yes, I learned to speak the language when I was there, but I've been learning the grammar/literature/etc stuff while in England.
    I did have to learn a lot for my A Level, it wasn't just a case of simply sitting the exam on the day with no preparation.

Hmmm.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend ringing up the universities you are applying to and asking them whether they consider German as a proper a-level for you or your native language. It seems as if you knew the language but just had to be taught the literature stuff. Am i correct?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much.. I just had to practice it really, seeing as I hadn't really used it properly since I came here.

It's not really going to make any difference anyway, cos I should be fine with my other A2s and won't need the German to fall back on, but I guess I should check anyway.

Thanks!

Ssome universities wont accept it because its your first language.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the uni really. As kirstinx said above, some won't accept it because it's your first language and I think some unis don't accept early A-levels anyway because they want students to have the same workload as others in Year 13. The only way you'll really find out is to ring the unis and explain your situation, but even if German was excluded from your offer, it might make them more lenient if you missed the other grades.

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay, thanks.

I'm not too bothered about it because I'll hopefully do fine in my other A levels anyway, but it's just been bugging me for a while.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.