Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is it ok to buy a preloved gift for your gf/bf on your anniv? Watch

hey guys! so my bf and i are turning one next week!

i wanna buy him a present but currently low on cash so i plan to buy him a present on a preloved site called carousell instead. their items are great but it's preloved... not too sure about it.. should i go ahead anyways?

xx

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's okay... It's not personal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

i wanna buy him a present but currently low on cash so i plan to buy him a present on a preloved site called carousell instead. their items are great but it's preloved... not too sure about it.. should i go ahead anyways?

xx
    is there any shops nearby u that is in ur budget and u could get him something, instead?

ReputationRep:
    I'd be fine with a second hand item, as long as it was it good condition and you put some thought into what it actually is!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't see the problem in getting them a second hand gift as long as it's a gift they would like and it's in good condition

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As long as it's not like..a teddy and it's head has fallen off or something I see nothing wrong?
    If it's something he likes and it is in good taste then why not?

It's really the thought that counts and I'm not just saying that! You're thinking of him and you are doing the best with your budget to get him something so that's nice enough!

ReputationRep:
    Just make something, it's more precious than anything you can buy.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the issue, me and my partner are both gamers so we end up buying a lot of second hand items for each other as we are into retro gaming.

I think it depends on your partner as well, you know him best, I'm sure they'd prefer for you to buy something that you can afford rather than spending too much and putting yourself into financial difficulty for a present.

Sorry to be corny, BUTTTTTT, it's the thought that counts

ReputationRep:
    It seems less personal, make him something.

ReputationRep:
    Only thing that bothers me is you calling it 'preloved' rather then just '2nd hand'

serriously though

Does not bother me or my wife..

We both love charity shops, and often buy presents in them and other 2nd-hand methods.

We have found some amazing presents in there before for both each other and for others.. Like our first christmas together, she said she wanted a big cuddly toy polar bear.. I looked in all the toy shops, nothing. Online they had some small ones, unless you wanted to pay stupid money.. but then walking through the highstreet one day, and in the window of a charity shop: a massive cuddly polar bear. £5 job done.

we had only been together a few months, so back then I wasnt entirely sure she would be ok with it being 2nd hand..

She opened it along with her other presents christmas morning, and said 'you got this in the charity shop didnt you??'

I said yes, preparing to explain..

But then she beemingly happy explained that she saw the same bear, and that is the whoel reason she asked for one.. she didnt think you could buy it, as she thought it may be part of their christmas display.. but she was so happy to have the one she first saw, rather then a random other bear.

ReputationRep:
    No its not good to give used ****

i bought stuff from carousell for my gf before and she loved it!! the seller told me it was brand new and came with a tag so she didn't mind hahaha. it wasn't for anniv tho so...

ReputationRep:
    No. That's cheap af

xx
    You mean secondhand. Don't try and sugarcoat it, that's just pathetic.

Generally, I'd say it's not the best thing to do. But iot depends what kind of couple you are - my girlfriend and I are both more interested in what something means than how much it costs, and anything given with love means something.

I've actually got a standing order among all my family not to get me anything expensive for any occasions; I'd rather have an old book, or something small and daft (for example, my parents got me a set of juggling balls and a book about electronics for Christmas last year, and that was fine.

It depends what your relationship is like though. He might be like me, and happy with a good novel from a secondhand shop, or he might not be. You know him better than us.

ReputationRep:
    it depends on what it is
    I gave pre-loved gifts a lot but they were real quality pieces like tiffany jewellery and Cartier watches
    for standard level stuff I'd say buying new is far far better
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

xx
    i bought stuff from carousell for my gf before and she loved it!! the seller told me it was brand new and came with a tag so she didn't mind hahaha. it wasn't for anniv tho so...
    Have you just replied to yourself as someone else?

ReputationRep:
    i don't think it is, i'd rather you make a handmade gift, it has more sentimental value! However, that being said, you might want to pick up a second-hand item if your gf/bf wants a particular item, e.g. a playstation 4 or an xbox one (not trying to stir any debate between ps and xbox ) Regardless, whatever you get, i'm sure your significant other wouldn't mind, because after all, its the thought that counts, no?

ReputationRep:
    I've bought second hand stuff as gifts for my partner before, if it makes sense and means they get a better present then why not?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.