Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya guys,

I've been on JSA for about 9 months or so. I've recently started the work program. In all honesty, I'd rather be in debt than go there again. They force you on to jobs, they don't listen and they look down on you. Feels really intimidating, worse than the governments job centre.

Anyways, I'm applying to an undergraduate degree at university starting with a foundation year. I haven't got things sorted out yet, such as referee's, personal statement,student finance etc. But, I'll get there. I'm going to be applying directly to the university.

I'm just wondering:

Whats the best time to sign off JSA?
    After I secure a place at the uni but haven't started full time education yet and I signed off like a month in advanced, will that be okay? will i need to start paying my rent if thats the case? I dont really want to be on the doll and don't want to wait till my course starts. I really want to get out from this depressive environment. ._.

Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You cna sign off whenever you like but that stops you having access to the benefits sustem.
    Personally if I was on benefits then I would remain on them as long as needed.
    If you get a job ovbiously sign off.
    If you sign off early, then you wont get any money.
    You would be ineligible the day you start ni and officially become a student. Probably first day of term.

Your plan to sign off a month early, is your choice.
    Yes you have to pay rent although yolou cna put in a separate claim for housing benefit based on income. Its easier imo to carry on being paid in the system via jsa rather than going through the hs system which can take months.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I'll endure the work program alongside the jobcentre. Thanks for the help! oo, another question, should I let the work program as well as the jobcentre know that I'll be starting uni on september? I can only look for temporary jobs now, maybe I can do the traineeship before uni as it's only an 8 week course and I can get good experience.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    When you have a confirmed place, then you can tell them. Hopefully they will lay off a bit and accept you will be looking for temp work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaisi)
    Okay, I'll endure the work program alongside the jobcentre. Thanks for the help! oo, another question, should I let the work program as well as the jobcentre know that I'll be starting uni on september? I can only look for temporary jobs now, maybe I can do the traineeship before uni as it's only an 8 week course and I can get good experience.
    I'd advise you not to tell any of them sooner than you absolutely have to. The minute you aren't available for full-time work, your JSA will be stopped. If they take the view that you can't meaningfully apply for jobs if you're going to uni in September, because no employer would accept you on those terms, then you can wave goodbye to your benefits. Sign off as lateas possible *before your course's start date.

Also, be aware that you won't get any of your Maintenance Loan until after you have enrolled at uni at the start of your course. You'll need some money to yide you over between signing off and gettibg your Student Finance. Look into student bank accounts, which usually come with an automatic overdraft.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Klix88)
    I'd advise you not to tell any of them sooner than you absolutely have to. The minute you aren't available for full-time work, your JSA will be stopped. If they take the view that you can't meaningfully apply for jobs if you're going to uni in September, because no employer would accept you on those terms, then you can wave goodbye to your benefits. Sign off as lateas possible *before your course's start date.

Also, be aware that you won't get any of your Maintenance Loan until after you have enrolled at uni at the start of your course. You'll need some money to yide you over between signing off and gettibg your Student Finance. Look into student bank accounts, which usually come with an automatic overdraft.
    I'd disagree. they only have to be available for the period when signing on and not for permanent jobs. If youve got any case law on this would be happy to change my view on it. Its likely they will be more pleased to get the person off their books.

ReputationRep:
    I applied yesterday and got an unconditional offer, I sent in my RPA along with copies of certificates that was asked for. Now all im doing is waiting for them to process it. I'll start in 2 months. I dont know if I should tell the jobcentre as well as the work program.

The jobcentre only say "just apply to jobs". As I'm in the work program, they're not really putting any effort into me. The work program are looking for jobs for me (full time/part time, perm) as well as apprenticeships and traineeships. Mainly looking for work in retail/cleaning.

Can't do apprenticeships anymore as it's a year+ long and Ill be starting uni in 2 months.
    Can only look for full time/part time temp jobs as I'll be starting uni in 2 months.
    Can do traineeships as long as it's short.

Telling them would make it harder for them to find work for me in retail/cleaning as there's not much temp jobs in those sectors. There's also not much traineeeships.

Also, I happened to sign on to a traineeship in retail, it's 8 weeks and only a few hours a week. I think doing this will be a good way of stalling them. They wont put more pressure on me. What do you guys think? I have an interview next week wednesday for a permanent part time job in retail. It's 19 hours a week. Any opinions?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Some help would be nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I'd disagree. they only have to be available for the period when signing on and not for permanent jobs. If youve got any case law on this would be happy to change my view on it. Its likely they will be more pleased to get the person off their books.
    I've no view on case law, but my local Job Centres will sanction at the drop of a hat and wait for an appeal. With friends on both sides of the desk, I can say with certainty that there *are* sanctioning targets, regardless of the public line on the subject. How sanctions are applied does vary between centres though, and some are less antsy than others.

The ones in my area have an itchy trigger finger and I do know of someone whose JSA was stopped in advance of a uni course start, on the grounds that whilst they might be job hunting, they would not be able to take up a permanent full-time job because no employer would take them on if they knew about the course start date. There's little doubt the sanction would have been overturned on appeal and the Job Centre pretty much admitted it. But as there were only five weeks before the course start, their parents decided to cover the bills to save the stress, so they didn't bother appealing.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Klix88)
    I've no view on case law, but my local Job Centres will sanction at the drop of a hat and wait for an appeal. With friends on both sides of the desk, I can say with certainty that there *are* sanctioning targets, regardless of the public line on the subject. How sanctions are applied does vary between centres though, and some are less antsy than others.

The ones in my area have an itchy trigger finger and I do know of someone whose JSA was stopped in advance of a uni course start, on the grounds that whilst they might be job hunting, they would not be able to take up a permanent full-time job because no employer would take them on if they knew about the course start date. There's little doubt the sanction would have been overturned on appeal and the Job Centre pretty much admitted it. But as there were only five weeks before the course start, their parents decided to cover the bills to save the stress, so they didn't bother appealing.
    In any given situation I would play it by ear, but the OP isnt exactly forthcoming.
    He should have a relationship with his work coach, who would see that he was returning to education and that would mean applying for permanent jobs might be a little unreasonable. Its importnat the OP follows the work coaches instructions, but they shouldnt be hard to talk around.

There is nothing in JSA which says it has to be permanent work, Just that they need to be actively seeking for the period of benefit (its not seeking work forever benefut) as well as some rules on distance and types of work after x period. He also needs to follow directions. If he does this then there is no need for him to be sanctioned, which ive told him a number of times, but he doesnt seem interested in listening.

Again it depends how much of a rapport he has developed, but id say most work coaches would be glad that soemthing was sorted out and would go easy on them for the remaining period. Ive appealed a number of sanctios for clients and got all of them overturned or got them to reconsider.

If the OP wants to keep it a secret, then thats up to him, but the work coach will then be applying and expecting a higher standard of compliance becayse they will have been kept in the dark about what the tryue intentions are. Many job centre staff and work coaches do not understand the rules. On the plus side they are all human beings and as long as you dont make their job more difficult then the vast majority of them are fine.

Completely ambivalent as to whether the OP tells them or not. By all means keep it to himself , but he then cant achieve the target of getting them off his back as he calls it.

In the scenario you describe I would ahve just put the appeal in . its 5 weeks money which they were entitled to and could have been used to buy books. I also wouldnt like someone who was incorrectly applying the rules getting away with it. Before it even gets to that situation the work coach should be an ally not a policeman. Thats down to soft skills.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.