Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    This forum came in as blessing and disguise. thanks a lot for wealth highly credible information.I am writing this for my daugther. My daughter is a US citizen and we settled in india. she wanted to practise as a Lawyer in US. In india, we have BA+LLB which is a five year degree. TheN cominging to US do a 3 year JD+1 LLM may be a needed l with slim chance of getting a good job in US. Lot has been said of unemployment in US for laywers, expensive JD, and only california and NY alone takes foreign degree holder.Our choice is to do a law degree in UK (3 year or 4 year) and we are not sure which one to take. I had looked at the forums on UCL, durham etc. Option 1: 5 year india + 3 year JD + 1 year LLM (she can skip JD for NY,CALI)Option 2: 3 year law in UK+3 year JD +1 year LLM. does she need 4 year law in UK (16 year eduction reqmt in US)I am assuming she can skip doing JD in US if she takes UK routePlease advise. We do not have any visa issues in US.We are fully confused.thanks a lotsrini

    Might be better of posting this in the law forum - there's a person there who has worked in UK law recruitment before.

    Going with a foreign law degree (maybe w/ LLM) to NY/CA bar
    NY/CA bars do allow foreign degree holders to take the bar exam. However, this does not guarantee a legal job. Foreign degree holders are not considered to be knowledgeable about local laws. As such, they can find it difficult to get a legal job in the US.

    If your daughter wants to immediately start work as a lawyer in the US right after school, a US JD is the best option.

    If you want to save money, another option is to do a UK/India LLB, get qualified in UK/India with a big firm, then transfer to a US office.

    I realise this is old but here are my two cents:

    The CA and NY bars allow foreign lawyers to take the bar. I'm not familiar with CA but at least in NY, you can have a foreign (common law) degree substantially equivalent to a JD (i.e., an LLB) and you're allowed to take the bar without first doing an LLM (which also comes with a price tag of a good USD 50k). That means, both an UK and an Indian law degree would probably enable you to take the NY bar.

    The UK law degree only takes three years (if your daugther has a previous degree, she can do the graduate degree in law [GDL], which takes only one year). After that, she'll likely want to qualify, which takes another year of study (legal practice course, LPC) and then two years (probably) as a trainee solicitor. I hear in India qualification is only contingent upon passing an extra exam, no mandatory further training post graduation. I'd assume the two paths are comparable in length. There may be an advantage to a UK degree in America in terms of familiarity, but I cannot testify to that, it's a guess.

    Re transferability of the knowledge gained in such degree and job prospects, I'd refer to zombiejon above.
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.