Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i got a new one because my old one died. trouble is i did things right with connecting the PSU to the motherboard but when i switched on the pc the PSU was only slightly on and the fan wasn't moving in the PSU or on the motherboard! araghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:p: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

also, there was only a yellow light on the front of my pc and i couldn't switch it on. what have i done wrong...? i'm not quite sure on what to connect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopCat06)
    but when i switched on the pc the PSU was only slightly on
    What exactly do you mean by this?
    and the fan wasn't moving in the PSU or on the motherboard!
    Both PSU and CPU fan's could be 'intelligent' where they only spin when necessary. It scared the hell out of me when I booted up and my CPU fan didn't spin, but then after a few seconds it came to life!

ReputationRep:
    i mean that the hardware didn't go on. e.g. the pc couldn't switch on even when there was the flashing orange ight at the front and also the cd rom/floppy drives didn't come on.............................. .................

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you plugged all the cables in? Check to see if the power supply cable for the processor is plugged in. Its usually square with 4 pins.

ReputationRep:
    Also make sure you are using the correct type of ATX connector to the board, some motherboards need a 24-pin connector.

If it is just a cheap power supply though its likely its just dead. I want them them outlawed.

ReputationRep:
    hmm the fan inside the power supply is still not working. i haven't done anything wrong

ReputationRep:
    hmm the fan inside the power supply is still not working. i haven't done anything wrong
    Take the PSU out of the machine and plug in a single CD drive; in the ATX connector connect the green pin to any black one.
    If the CD drive does not get power the PSU is dead.

ReputationRep:
    ohh i had the exact same problem...i just sent my computer to PCworld to get it fixed..still havent got it back...ille tell you what happened once i get it back

ReputationRep:
    hey, i'm pretty peed off now because the powersupply is only making this weird clicking sound.

ReputationRep:
    hey, i'm pretty peed off now because the powersupply is only making this weird clicking sound.
    Remove it and send it back before it breaks something / you.

ReputationRep:
    right, time to give the shopkeeper what i call a 'grilling',

ReputationRep:
    It may not be his fault He didn't make it, he can't test all the products before selling them.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.