Turn on thread page Beta

Monogamy? watch

Announcements

My boyfriend and I were discussing about cheating, and he states that regardless of gender it would still be as bad because it rules out the main rule of monogamy. But, i'm just confused because he's been in an open relationship and did sleep with like 2 other girls during that relationship.. so is he contradicting himself or is it a complete different thing?

Because if you're into monogamy.. and also fine with an open relationship is that possible?

I don't want to discuss it with him, because it includes one of his ex that I don't like, so it'll just stir up negative feelings.

ReputationRep:
    People on TSR think and talk far too much BS with their partners. Honestly it was only once I started discussing this online I was informed by ''experts'', I need to be vetting any girl I get with's past, to ensure she's a virgin who has displayed chastity at all times until she met me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My boyfriend and I were discussing about cheating, and he states that regardless of gender it would still be as bad because it rules out the main rule of monogamy. But, i'm just confused because he's been in an open relationship and did sleep with like 2 other girls during that relationship.. so is he contradicting himself or is it a complete different thing?

Because if you're into monogamy.. and also fine with an open relationship is that possible?

I don't want to discuss it with him, because it includes one of his ex that I don't like, so it'll just stir up negative feelings.
    I think that it is the past and u should try and forget it, but then again ik it would be hard to forget something like this, but the true fact is that he has changed and he loves u now and he would never do that again and also monogamy is cheating but only with multiple partners, and technically he wasnt cheating because it was an open relationship and so his ex and him were probs allowed to do what they wanted before

(Original post by x-bhakti-patel)
    I think that it is the past and u should try and forget it, but then again ik it would be hard to forget something like this, but the true fact is that he has changed and he loves u now and he would never do that again and also monogamy is cheating but only with multiple partners, and technically he wasnt cheating because it was an open relationship and so his ex and him were probs allowed to do what they wanted before
    Yeah, i'm not offended i just want to know if there's a clear difference or something. To help with my understanding. And also, I know his views has changed since we're kinda serious so, cheating or even wanting to be in an open relationship is far far less important than what we have.
    I just thought it was a contradiction, but I understand that it's the past and it was acceptable then.

ReputationRep:
    Well it is not cheating if you are in an open relationship. The point is that cheating is just as bad for either gender in a monogamous relationship; if you aren't in such a relationship then you can't cheat anyhow..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i'm not offended i just want to know if there's a clear difference or something. To help with my understanding. And also, I know his views has changed since we're kinda serious so, cheating or even wanting to be in an open relationship is far far less important than what we have.
    I just thought it was a contradiction, but I understand that it's the past and it was acceptable then.
    yep im glad that u understand, if u need any more help then u can just ask me

ReputationRep:

It sounds to me as though the conversation wasn't about his commitment to monogamy, it was more about his perspective on what you'd expect when in a relationship which isn't open. So his personal preferences are a different topic.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.