hollys7717xx
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've recently been studying C4 in my Chemistry OCR GCSE textbook and, at the end it has a 'Grade Checker'. One of the criteria for an A* grade is:
'Understand the radius and mass of atoms'.
I've flipped back and tried to find the radius of atoms in the book but i can't find it anywhere. Any help would be appreciated
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hollys7717xx)
I've recently been studying C4 in my Chemistry OCR GCSE textbook and, at the end it has a 'Grade Checker'. One of the criteria for an A* grade is:
'Understand the radius and mass of atoms'.
I've flipped back and tried to find the radius of atoms in the book but i can't find it anywhere. Any help would be appreciated
It's in the physics A2 book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohr_radius
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_mass

Hopefully those help
umar39
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
It seems as though the criteria is asking for an understanding of the radius rather than the integer value of the radius. An appropriate answer would probably be: The radius of an atom is the distance from the nucleus to the outermost shell/energy level. Another answer could be that: 'the radii of atoms are so large that they are mainly comprised of air' or even 'the mass of the atom is due to the mass of the protons and neutrons. The radius of an atom is very large. As a result, the density of an atom is relatively low'.
Vanilla Cupcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
atoms have a radius of 10^-10m and a mass of 10^-23g, if you have a CGP revision guide then it's on the first or second page of C4
Alexion
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Vanilla Cupcake)
atoms have a radius of 10^-10m and a mass of 10^-23g, if you have a CGP revision guide then it's on the first or second page of C4
that is just a vague approximation, different atoms are gonna have different masses and radii
Vanilla Cupcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alexion)
that is just a vague approximation, different atoms are gonna have different masses and radii
true but those are the figures given by the ocr gcse spec which is what op was looking for
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (138)
33.91%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.29%
No (110)
27.03%
I'm not sure (52)
12.78%

Watched Threads