Turn on thread page Beta

Either in your actual or mock test or just on your typical lessons... I'm always intrigued to here other peoples disastor stories

I had a mock about two weeks ago, afterwards my instructor said that he'd pass me if i performed like that in my main test. I got so excited that i opened the car door without looking and a cyclist drove into it and knocked me over, knocked him off his bike and cracked the door window. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Well sumhow i managed to pull away drive a hundred yards, got to a junction stopped went to put my handbrake on...and it was already on. Woops! my instructor asked me if I had left the handbrake on and I was like noooo don't be silly, he believed me as well. Didn't stop me passin first time when it came to the test tho

ReputationRep:
    I crashed into a wheelie bin once knocking of the passager mirror but it was easily fixed.

When I first got my Fiesta I drove down that round about near the Trafford Centre was about to pull into the other lane but luckily heared the car overtaking me. If I was deaf I would have pulled out and crashed into it.

I always check the mirror now

ReputationRep:
    On my first test, I was overtaking 2 buses and a truck on a dual carriageway. When moving back into the left lane in front of the truck, I pulled in slightly too early and the truck driver had to slow to let me in. Oh, and I forgot to indicate when doing so, Examiner was cacking himself, lol.

ReputationRep:
    On my 6th lesson, my instructor asked me to pull over in a quiet residential road. He said he'd heard a noise like the sound of a stone stuck in the left front wheel. He got out and crouched down by the wheel while I stayed in the car. He left his door open and had his hand in the wheel arch when suddenly, being a very inexperienced driver, for some reason I took my foot off the clutch. The car jolted forward while he had his hand round the wheel and the open door hit him. He went mental at me.

I think I'm the only person in Britain to run over their own driving instructor lol.
    Bet no-one can beat that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I crashed into a wheelie bin once knocking of the passager mirror but it was easily fixed.
    I know totally how you feel although i didnt take the passenger wing mirror off it was bent inwards and had to be pushed out. This was unfortunatley on my test, i can laugh about it now though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petrolhead)
    On my 6th lesson, my instructor asked me to pull over in a quiet residential road. He said he'd heard a noise like the sound of a stone stuck in the left front wheel. He got out and crouched down by the wheel while I stayed in the car. He left his door open and had his hand in the wheel arch when suddenly, being a very inexperienced driver, for some reason I took my foot off the clutch. The car jolted forward while he had his hand round the wheel and the open door hit him. He went mental at me.

I think I'm the only person in Britain to run over their own driving instructor lol.
    ha! so funny lol

mines probably i was into my 8/9th lesson stopped at a 3 lane roundabout giving way but something in my mind thought that i could go even though there was a british gas already on my instrutor had to swerve me quickly into the inner lane missed him within an inch then stalled half way round so pretty good lesson!

ReputationRep:
    Mine's probably mirror-related or blindspots nowadays but after nearly bumping into a car in my blindspot, I always check my blindspot before moving and I always signal early so people know I'm moving out.

When I learnt to drive, I never used to stop early enough, so there would be a narrow road, with space only for one car, and I wouldn't take that into consideration and carry on driving. That is, I would have done if I did not have a driving instructor next to me So stuff related to being courteous to other drivers really. Not a disaster story as such, but it could have been

ReputationRep:
    Also, is there some unwritten rule that you don't need to signal when you overtake and pull back into the left in front of the car you've just overtaken?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by linka1)
    Also, is there some unwritten rule that you don't need to signal when you overtake and pull back into the left in front of the car you've just overtaken?
    Far as I know, whenever you're moving in anything other than a straight line or the course the road is taking you, you signal. People generally don't, but people are generally bad drivers.

(Original post by petrolhead)

I can actually, this was going to be my second post of misfortune, I was in ASDA car park, quiet day, my instructor got out and told me to reverse into a bay, he stood infront of the car and was going to observe. Anyway, to cut a long story short, i put it into first instead of reverse and drove into him. He sort of did this hilarious little jump onto the bonnet. :p:

He got into the car and simply said: 'Accidents Happen' (I was having a mini stroke at the time) ;sorry;

ReputationRep:
    In one of my first few lessons was going up a fairly residential road and managed to pull the handbrake full on at 20-25mph instead of changing up to 3rd! My instructor got a bit of a shock as did I......:rolleyes: luckily there was no one behind.

(Original post by linka1)
    On a 2/3 lane road you mean? I indicate right to move out (as long as I remember!) and left to go back in, but if there is a side road nearby on the left then I would be more careful because the person behind might think you're trying to get in there and slam their brakes on!

On a single lane road I try to remember to indicate right to overtake, don't always indicate left to get back into the right lane though... Sometimes I forget altogether driving down country roads, depending on how frustrating i'm finding the driver in front of me! If you're trying to get past and there's other cars behind you I think it's quite important to indicate, because they might be thinking of passing you and the car in front which could cause a crash if they're not expecting you to come out

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant post DiscoPirate. I concede - that is a better/worse error than mine.

ReputationRep:
    Set off without the seatbelt on. Not that good really, only mishap that's happened so far

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear...

well so far i've gone through four red lights and nearly died, stalled on a large roundabout, driven over the kerb, stalled about 1000000000000000000 times oh and a rabbit ran out in front of me so i slammed my breaks on and nearly killed about 40 people.

GOOD times.

ReputationRep:
    Reversed into a car on a main road (although that was after I passed, lol)
    Driven into my gate
    Crunched someone's bumper through leaving the car in gear in a car park
    Nearly falling asleep at the wheel and clipping the curb

I'm not too sure how I passed my test, really...

What the hell?

How come you got to do Caterpillar rehabiliitation studies? What school was this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiscoPirate)
    What the hell?

How come you got to do Caterpillar rehabiliitation studies? What school was this?
    LOL I think it's a joke

ReputationRep:
    I just wasn't confident and that was my only problem...
    Didn't do too much wrong... though I may have started burning out my instructor's car at some point (can't remember how though...)
    Oh, and clipped the kerb more than once

This isn't me, but my friend - who's a couple of years older - had 4 or 5 instructors for various reasons:
    - reversing into a brick wall
    - allowing the car to roll (backwards) down a hill (I think)
    - stalling 4 or 5 times within a few minutes and flooding the instructor's car engine

She did a couple of other thigs too, but I can't remember them!

(Don't worry, she's not on the roads!)

ReputationRep:
    I think my biggest mistake was probably setting off from the test centre in third gear... I didn't even notice till I went to change gear though - awesome clutch control!

Either that or running a red on a zebra crossing!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.