Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I bought a Samsung galaxy note 4 for £240 today .
    Good idea or bad idea?
    Is it worth the money and is it still a good phone to purchase in 2016?

Any better alternatives at the same price?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's not a terrible phone. Still works reasonably well but being nearly 2 years old is starting to show signs of wear. You'd have a similar issue with other flagships from 2 years ago.

The only thing I can think of that might have been a better purchase is a Nexus 6P. Similar price (but realistically will be more expensive) but it's only a year old. Similar specs and performance but uses a more modern processor. Google support is better than Samsung support as well so it'd last longer. I actually swapped from a Note 5 to a 6P. Performance increased, there was less lag, the phone is nicer to hold and yet it's older. So I'd expect it to outperform a Note 4.But you'd understandably pay more money.

The Note 4 was an excellent device and at £240 you won't find much else better. It's not ideal for 2016 but to get something "ideal" you'd need to pay more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    It's not a terrible phone. Still works reasonably well but being nearly 2 years old is starting to show signs of wear. You'd have a similar issue with other flagships from 2 years ago.

The only thing I can think of that might have been a better purchase is a Nexus 6P. Similar price (but realistically will be more expensive) but it's only a year old. Similar specs and performance but uses a more modern processor. Google support is better than Samsung support as well so it'd last longer. I actually swapped from a Note 5 to a 6P. Performance increased, there was less lag, the phone is nicer to hold and yet it's older. So I'd expect it to outperform a Note 4.But you'd understandably pay more money.

The Note 4 was an excellent device and at £240 you won't find much else better. It's not ideal for 2016 but to get something "ideal" you'd need to pay more.
    Thank you for your reply Acsel. I had a nexus 5 prior to my Samsung note 4 so I wanted to try something new otherwise I was inclined to get the nexus 6P.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Dhanny)
    Thank you for your reply Acsel. I had a nexus 5 prior to my Samsung note 4 so I wanted to try something new otherwise I was inclined to get the nexus 6P.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's the best bit about Android, there's so many flavours and you can try all sorts of stuff to find what you like. And if you can't find something you like you can root and install something else instead.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.