Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have no issue with the idea of sharing bathrooms, and especially so at my firm choice (York), as sharing a bathroom means that, for the same price as an en-suite, I can have a 'premium' bedroom with a bigger bed etc. But at one of the colleges (Langwith), sharing a bathroom means that I'd be sharing it with three other people... which seems like a lot, with the potential of it getting really frustrating, particularly in the mornings.

In my first choice (Constantine), the bathroom is only shared with two other people, which seems fine, but now it's a matter of whether I should place Langwith shared as my second choice (I've already submitted my application but amending it doesn't change my status in the first-come-first-served system).

So, does anyone have experience with sharing a bathroom with three others? Is it not as bad as it sounds? I really prefer the premium bedrooms but four per bathroom sounds like it could be chaos at times.

ReputationRep:
    I shared two bathrooms between four people last year at uni. I don't think I ever had to wait for the bathroom because we all had different routines.
    The only downside was two of us were super clean, one wasn't and one flatmate was just plain disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    If they're all clean and don't all prefer morning showers I don't see a problem. You'll all have different schedules any way.

ReputationRep:
    If you have conflicting routines just join in
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    I have no issue with the idea of sharing bathrooms, and especially so at my firm choice (York), as sharing a bathroom means that, for the same price as an en-suite, I can have a 'premium' bedroom with a bigger bed etc. But at one of the colleges (Langwith), sharing a bathroom means that I'd be sharing it with three other people... which seems like a lot, with the potential of it getting really frustrating, particularly in the mornings.

In my first choice (Constantine), the bathroom is only shared with two other people, which seems fine, but now it's a matter of whether I should place Langwith shared as my second choice (I've already submitted my application but amending it doesn't change my status in the first-come-first served system).

So, does anyone have experience with sharing a bathroom with three others? Is it not as bad as it sounds? I really prefer the premium bedrooms but four per bathroom sounds like it could be chaos at times.
    I find it very interesting that you have a bigger bed with an ensuite as an ensuite usually have smaller rooms because of this.

Sharing with 3 other people isn't bad at all. Everyone does have different timetables and schedules and stuff. But if your toilet and shower are both in the same room, I'd suggest just having a rota if most or half of you have morning lectures and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    I find it very interesting that you have a bigger bed with an ensuite as an ensuite usually have smaller rooms because of this.

Sharing with 3 other people isn't bad at all. Everyone does have different timetables and schedules and stuff. But if your toilet and shower are both in the same room, I'd suggest just having a rota if most or half of you have morning lectures and stuff.
    The toilet and shower are both in one room, shared between the four people, which is what's concerning me - even if only one or two people showered in the morning, there could still be massive delays as one person showering would stop anyone else from even being able to use the toilet... a rota might work though. I think I'll leave it as my third choice, and if I get allocated there, I'll deal with it as it happens. I applied on the first day, and it's first come first served (date but not time based) so I'm hoping I get my first choice accommodation, with fewer people per bathroom, if I do end up at York. I think it's at least a bit unlikely that enough people applied on the very first day to fill up my first choice of accommodation, hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    The toilet and shower are both in one room, shared between the four people, which is what's concerning me - even if only one or two people showered in the morning, there could still be massive delays as one person showering would stop anyone else from even being able to use the toilet... a rota might work though. I think I'll leave it as my third choice, and if I get allocated there, I'll deal with it as it happens. I applied on the first day, and it's first come first served (date but not time based) so I'm hoping I get my first choice accommodation, with fewer people per bathroom, if I do end up at York. I think it's at least a bit unlikely that enough people applied on the very first day to fill up my first choice of accommodation, hopefully.
    Never had any issues in final year, and we had 7 people to a single bathroom.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Yeah I get what you're saying. I had to share with 5 other guys and there was 2 shower room and toilets and sometimes it did get annoying having to wait. The first thing I did was wake up and go to the shower.

You don't need to think about it until the day comes anyway. Hope you get your first choice!

ReputationRep:
    Downside is that it'll be a bit of a squeeze but at least you'll only need to get the tap end 1 in every 4.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I shared a shower between 5 other girls when i lived in halls and we managed.

ReputationRep:
    That sucks.

ReputationRep:

In my first choice (Constantine), the bathroom is only shared with two other people, which seems fine, but now it's a matter of whether I should place Langwith shared as my second choice (I've already submitted my application but amending it doesn't change my status in the first-come-first-served system).

I had a similar set-up and although it was frustrating at times, it worked overall.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you'll get used to sharing after a while and likelihood is that you'll become mates with those you're sharing with and you wouldn't mind sharing a bathroom with your mates would you ?

ReputationRep:
    you'll just have to figure it out between yourselves like one person might shower in the evening but others will go in the morning

ReputationRep:
    3 people really isn't many, you'll get into routines after a couple of weeks and won't even notice

ReputationRep:
    It might get a bit cramped, you should probably use the bathroom seperately

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.