Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone attended this summer school before? Was it good and worth the cost? Did it help confirm whether or not English literature at university was right for you? Seems a bit pricey for 5 days......

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehighlighter)
    Has anyone attended this summer school before? Was it good and worth the cost? Did it help confirm whether or not English literature at university was right for you? Seems a bit pricey for 5 days......
    I don't have any inside knowledge on this summer school in particular but I'm familiar with its type, and while I'm sure they're decent, I'm not convinced that what you get is worth the high cost. If you might qualify for one of their bursaries it'd probably be worth applying, if you're able to withdraw and not pay in case you don't get the bursary.

Have you had the chance to go to any open days? (If you can get cheaply to an English department open day at a university near you it might be informative even if you're not considering going to that university.) Not all open days are useful but the best ones convey what's good about whatever subject you're interested in.

I'd say a straightforward degree in English (as opposed to linguistics, creative writing, &c) suits you if you enjoy reading and also enjoy talking about how what you read ticks. You might be particularly well-suited to it if reading material which is in an unfamiliar form or genre, and/or from an unfamiliar time, excites you rather than repelling you. It's good if you can read a text you find really weird and come out asking 'Why?' rather than just wanting to go back to more familiar material.

You might find [this](http://stylisticienne.com/on-becomin...t-more-expert/) a useful read—you can pass over the nitty-gritty bits about applying to Oxford if you don't want to do that, but the material about growing more expert bit-by-bit and the practical advice should still be useful. Some of the practical advice might also give you a bit of insight into the kind of work you might be doing on an English degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.