Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am currently a student about to go into second year studying mathematics. I would very much like to do a year in industry during my course but have hardly any experience. The only kind of job experience is working in a self employed catering business like counter jobs etc.
    I was just wondering, do companies that do placements look for a lot of experience? If yes, what would be the best advice to gain experience related to my maths degree? Like would it be better
    to look for a job whilst studying? Also any advice on where to look?

Thank you.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Pelly360)
    Hello, I am currently a student about to go into second year studying mathematics. I would very much like to do a year in industry during my course but have hardly any experience. The only kind of job experience is working in a self employed catering business like counter jobs etc.
    I was just wondering, do companies that do placements look for a lot of experience? If yes, what would be the best advice to gain experience related to my maths degree? Like would it be better

Thank you.
    It really depends on what industry you're going in. A lot of careers allow you to demonstrate transferable skills through work experience, part time jobs and volunteering. What have you got in mind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    It really depends on what industry you're going in. A lot of careers allow you to demonstrate transferable skills through work experience, part time jobs and volunteering. What have you got in mind?
    Thanks for replying well I am not proper decisive yet I was thinking along the lines of technology based careers or maybe engineering that allows
    you to apply maths.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Thanks for replying well I am not proper decisive yet I was thinking along the lines of technology based careers or maybe engineering that allows
    you to apply maths.
    I would look at popping into careers and asking how you could apply your degree in maths I suggest that because there are so many routes that you can go down, and it can be quite confusing what really is suited to your tastes

From that point, then you can do your research, work out if you would require specific experience and talk to people within the industry

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting a business course in September and I'm looking for a bit of work experience in my local veterinary practice, only I'm not 100% on what to do or say.

I've applied to go into a study tour which is very much related to my course, so I'm hoping I get a place!. and I'm wondering what that would be classed as in relation to my course as its not through my course it's through young farmers and there travel scheme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thank you.
    Hey! For your choice I believe the best kind of experience would be with a lawyer firm or possibly a bank? It may be hard!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.