Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! After changing my mind about wanting to move out in to accommodation for my first year at UWL, I have been faced with a few issues

- Am I able to change my student finance to not living at home in order to get a loan to afford accomodation?

- When do I have to pay the deposit for Paragon? I would only be able to pay that once I receive my student finance, however it looks as though they want their deposit before even considering giving you a room.

If anyone is able to help me that would be great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tweddled)
    Hi! After changing my mind about wanting to move out in to accommodation for my first year at UWL, I have been faced with a few issues

- Am I able to change my student finance to not living at home in order to get a loan to afford accomodation?

- When do I have to pay the deposit for Paragon? I would only be able to pay that once I receive my student finance, however it looks as though they want their deposit before even considering giving you a room.

If anyone is able to help me that would be great!
    Hi there, I'm not a UWL student but you've asked two general questions I can answer

1) Yes you can tell student finance you are now moving out to get an increased loan. Be aware though that the loan isn't guarenteed to cover the full costs of moving out, it is still based on household income rather than your costs.
    2) It is normal for accomodation companies to want a deposit before you move in and get your student loan, it also says on their website they want the first payment 'early September' so be warned about that too- that could also be before you get your student loan, as you don't get it until 3-5 working days after enrollment.
    http://www.paragonlets.com/student/useful-information (assuming I have the right site)

Some places are more willing than others to compromise- you'll have to email Paragon and see if they are, otherwise you'll need to borrow or earn the money to be able to move in.

ReputationRep:
    I am looking to sell my paragon student accommodation contract: Block C, Floor 12, Room 278 - £146.90 per week. Looking to move out after first semester, in December. Get in touch

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.