Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been considering purchasing a book to help me prepare for the LNAT. Firstly, is it even worth buying a book, or can one do well without reading one and just relying on the advice provided on the LNAT website. Also, if i was to buy one, which one would you recommend?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bump
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Bump
    No need to bump.

http://www.lnat.ac.uk/how-to-prepare/

And
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2012960

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I bought "How to Pass the Law National Admissions Test" and I wouldn't recommend it. The passages and questions are much easier (and more interesting) than the actual test. However, there were a few essay guides in the back that were useful and give some tips and examples.

I would say the online practice tests give you a better feel to what it's like. I'm not sure what other books are like but I would say don't get one unless you can get it for cheap. My best advice is to read the opinion section on news websites.

ReputationRep:
    Go to Amazon.uk and search for "LNAT practice" or something equally vague in the books section. A number of fairly popular titles will come up, costing around £10-30.

I personally used this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-N...dp_ob_title_bk
    While it had some decent tips at the front, I found that some of its questions were too easy and not written in the "traditional" LNAT style. I was able to consistenly get 30-35/42 across 4 past papers, while I only managed 25-28 in the past papers from the LNAT site (I ended up getting 26/42 in the real thing), showing that, on average, this particular book is a bit easier than the real thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Go to Amazon.uk and search for "LNAT practice" or something equally vague in the books section. A number of fairly popular titles will come up, costing around £10-30.

I personally used this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-N...dp_ob_title_bk
    While it had some decent tips at the front, I found that some of its questions were too easy and not written in the "traditional" LNAT style. I was able to consistenly get 30-35/42 across 4 past papers, while I only managed 25-28 in the past papers from the LNAT site (I ended up getting 26/42 in the real thing), showing that, on average, this particular book is a bit easier than the real thing.
    Thank you for your response

That's actually the book I ended up ordering a few days ago! I'll bear it in mind that the real thing will be harder.
    How did you find the essay section?

Also which unis did you apply to if you don't mind me asking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    How did you find the essay section?

Also which unis did you apply to if you don't mind me asking
    I thought that the essay section was the easier part of the test, as it relies on you being able to put forth the arguments for and against a certain view, which I've gotten accustomed to through debating and essay subjects at school. I think that a lot of the essay can revolve around being vaguely familiar with recent debates that you encounter in the media (e.g. Religious liberty, safe spaces, intervention in the M.E., university admissions/student debt, the EU, violence in the media, terrorism), and knowing a few examples to use in each.

The essay question I personally answered was about parents being able to pick their child's religion, and two friends of mine did university admissions via lottery and violence in video games I believe.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I applied to Bristol, King's, UCL, LSE and Oxford - got offers from all of them except Oxford.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.