Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just moved into a new privately rented flat with three other people. However the three other tenants are students, while I am not.Can anyone explain what the implication for this is on council tax?I've looked online but it's not so clear. From what I can tell, three out of the four people are 'disregarded', meaning that there will be a 25% discount on council tax. Is this correct?Any help greatly appreciated, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Yes - you get 25% off as full time students do not count as adults for council tax purposes. They need to apply for exemption.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    The uni / college can supply a certificate that they are full time students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magratgarlick)
    Yes - you get 25% off as full time students do not count as adults for council tax purposes. They need to apply for exemption.
    Thanks for confirming this. Just to check, this is 25% off the full amount for the property (in my case £130)?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Johnh4)
    Thanks for confirming this. Just to check, this is 25% off the full amount for the property (in my case £130)?
    Yes it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magratgarlick)
    Are you sure. Students are exempt from council tax. Single occupiers get 25% discount but multiple occupancy pays full whack. At least that is my take on it.

ReputationRep:
    Students are exempt. The 25% discount applies if either someone lives on their own or if no-one else in your home counts as an adult. Full time uni students do not count as adults

ReputationRep:
    As others have said. The students are exempt from council tax, so you're wholly responsible for paying it. As the students don't count, you're classed as a single occupier and get a 25% discount.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    As others have said. The students are exempt from council tax, so you're wholly responsible for paying it. As the students don't count, you're classed as a single occupier and get a 25% discount.*
    Thanks for confirming this.I have a further question.I note that, to qualify as a full time student for council tax purposes, your course must involve at least 21 hours of 'study' per week.Does this mean your need to have at least 21 contact hours per week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnh4)
    Thanks for confirming this.I have a further question.I note that, to qualify as a full time student for council tax purposes, your course must involve at least 21 hours of 'study' per week.Does this mean your need to have at least 21 contact hours per week?
    no, it includes self study- otherwise few courses would count!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    no, it includes self study- otherwise few courses would count!
    Good point, thank you!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.