Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I'm going into year 11 in September and recently got my mock exam results back from my year 10 mocks. English is my best subject and in class I consistently get A*s, but in my mock it was the subject that I got one of the lowest marks in? My teacher has predicted me a 9 (A** in the new grading system) so I'm capable of getting that in my teacher's opinion but now the prospect of me getting that is incredibly daunting and seems so hard.
    My mock grades were:
    English - 5
    Maths - 6
    Biology - A3
    Chemistry - B1
    Physics - B2
    Computer Science - A1
    History - A*3
    Spanish - A3
    RE - A*3

My predictions are:
    English - 9
    Maths - 8
    Biology - A*
    Chemistry - A
    Physics - A
    Computer Science - A
    History - A*
    Spanish - A*
    RE - A*

I have mocks in September again where we'll be tested on different units of the English course. Is it possible for me to get an 8/9 in those exams, and is it definitely possible for me to get a 9 next year? I have a tendency to overthink and worry irrationally so it's comforting to get some external reassurance.
    Also, do you think it is likely and/or within my capability for me to meet/exceed the predicted grades in all subjects?
    Thanks!

(also please don't quote this when you reply )

ReputationRep:
    Hi e2014.
    If you have mocks again, then you should work hard to achieve your predicted grades (which are really good!).
    You can definitely achieve an 7/8/9 (A,-A*,+A*) in all subjects as long as you are prepared for the exams. (This means you need to pay close attention in lessons, complete any valuable coursework to the best of your ability and begin to get into a revision timetable scheme).
    My advice for next year would be to prepare your notes as early as possible (now, perhaps?)!

I hope this comment helps!
    I wish you all the best with your GCSE grades. If you want a lengthier response just PM me!

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Please don't get stressed about your results, because you undoubtedly didn't prepare as much as you would've for the finals exams, and you still have a year to improve. That said, don't focus on the fact you got a 5 in English, focus on WHY you got a 5 in English. If you have the paper, note where you lost marks, and possibly make notes as to where you need to improve.

Also, do you think it is likely and/or within my capability for me to meet/exceed the predicted grades in all subjects?
    Only you know the answer to that. I don't know you, I haven't seen your work ethic or quality of work so it's impossible for me to know. Judging from your mock grades, yes, definitely. However, you should probably draw attention to Maths and English, as those are the lowest grades when compared to your targets. If you're struggling with any subject, feel free to post on the relevant section on this forum, and you'll be able to find help

My advised course of action:
    • Identify what subjects you need to improve in. However, don't neglect the subjects you're good in. To stay good you need to work at it!
    • Look at your mock papers and where you lost marks.
    • Compile a list of your weakest topics as per your mocks.
    And take it from there nailing those topics, and you'll do really well For Maths, I cannot stress the importance of practice. Traditional revision, looking at textbooks, testing yourself on facts, is almost useless for Maths, which is why many people struggle. It is a unique subject in that regard.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I know it's very frustrating when you don't see the grades you were hoping for on your results. However, there is still quite a bit of time before your real exams. Use this time to go through practice papers in exam condition - which I find really helpful - and mark yourself (if you have access to the mark scheme) so you know what gets you the marks. If that was your first mock, then there is no need to be disappointed with your results. You just need a bit more practice.

I've had trouble with English too. In my first mock, I got a C2 but in my second one (3 months later), I got an A2 and have just sat my GCSEs this summer. I can assure you that, if you revise and practice consistently and keep up your effort, you will improve with time.

Best of luck with your exams!

ReputationRep:
    They don't mean anything lol. I couldn't be bothered in Year 10 and got predicted all Cs and Bs at the end of the year. I ended up with 4A* 5A and 1C, so don't sweat it and just revise

ReputationRep:
    what options did you choose
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by e2014)
    Hi there,
    I'm going into year 11 in September and recently got my mock exam results back from my year 10 mocks. English is my best subject and in class I consistently get A*s, but in my mock it was the subject that I got one of the lowest marks in? My teacher has predicted me a 9 (A** in the new grading system) so I'm capable of getting that in my teacher's opinion but now the prospect of me getting that is incredibly daunting and seems so hard.
    My mock grades were:
    English - 5
    Maths - 6
    Biology - A3
    Chemistry - B1
    Physics - B2
    Computer Science - A1
    History - A*3
    Spanish - A3
    RE - A*3

My predictions are:
    English - 9
    Maths - 8
    Biology - A*
    Chemistry - A
    Physics - A
    Computer Science - A
    History - A*
    Spanish - A*
    RE - A*

I have mocks in September again where we'll be tested on different units of the English course. Is it possible for me to get an 8/9 in those exams, and is it definitely possible for me to get a 9 next year? I have a tendency to overthink and worry irrationally so it's comforting to get some external reassurance.
    Thanks!

(also please don't quote this when you reply )
    Hi, I'm also going into Year 11 this September. I'm one of those who panic about exam results and I must reassure you that you're grades are very good, mines slightly worse but we can turn it around in the right direction.

Maths - You can easily get a Grade 9 with lots of practice on topics in the new syllabus. English - Slightly more complicated in terms of resources, I would make use of all available resources to get Grades 7 and above (equivalent of A/A*).
    Follow the current Year 10 thread which can be found on the GCSE section of TSR and I'll keep you updated on when the new Year 11 is ready.

ReputationRep:
    Your English grade is fine because presumably, you haven't covered the whole course yet, and so it can be expected.

ReputationRep:
    My Mock Results:
    English Language 5
    English Literature 5
    Maths 3
    RE A*
    Biology C
    Chemistry A
    Physics C
    Geography A
    Urdu B

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.