Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my system, only problem is I don't know if my current PSU can take the strain of newer hardware. My current system uses the 300W PSU that comes with the Antec NSK1300 also known as the Antec Aria and is non replaceable.

The Voltage/Load ratings on the PSU are as follows:
    +12V, 18A max
    +5V, 26A max
    +3.3V, 27A max

Don't know how they come up with the 300W figure.

Do you think I'll be able to put something like the Athlon X2 5000+ and a 7600GT in there? The CPU is available in an energy efficient flavour, consuming only 65W. Does anyone know the power rating on the graphics card?

ReputationRep:
    It is borderline, you at least have 18amps to play with and that PSU will be better than the cheapo 500Ws you get which deliver like 12amps on the 12 rail.

Do you know if has a dual 12V rail?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, waiting for the guys at Antec support to send me some better specs. They seem to be pretty helpful so far, lol.

Is there any other way of finding out? Something to do with the number of cables coming out of the PSU?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, more wires= more power.
    Hehe!
    Anyway, may I suggest getting a totally new case? I LOVE my arctic case! It's so cool and has a 600W Power Supply!
    Yippi ka yay!

ReputationRep:
    300w can take a lot of strain - my own PSU is 350wand handle the latest hardware of around 4 months ago.

Its alll about efficiency - my PSU is 88% efficient apparently (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article188-page1.html)

saying that a cheap case fan might not be as efficient so maybe worth going for a 400watter.

all thos talk of needing 500-800w PSUs is crazy IMO and probably a waste - things are getting more efficient not the otherway around.

ReputationRep:
    I've just come across this:
    http://www.thermaltake.com/product/P...0099/w0099.asp

I think I'll be able to mod it so its external. Should sort out any power deficiencies.

I really don't wanna get a new case or PSU, don't have enough room for anything bigger and the one I have cost me around £65.

ReputationRep:
    As a guide, i'm running the following on an Antec 300W which came with my SFF case:

X2 4400+ (939) with Zalman 7000CU
    BFG 7600GT with Zalman CF900
    2GB Geil DDR
    150Gb WD RaptorX
    X-Fi Music
    NF4 410 based motherboard
    2x Akasa Amber fans

I haven't upgraded it because its an odd shape, and its never given me any reason to.

And to whoever said more cables coming out = more power, thats complete rubbish. Rails are sets of devices within the PSU, you could attach 50 wires to a single rail and it wouldnt be anym ore powerfull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PieMaster)
    As a guide, i'm running the following on an Antec 300W which came with my SFF case:

X2 4400+ (939) with Zalman 7000CU
    BFG 7600GT with Zalman CF900
    2GB Geil DDR
    150Gb WD RaptorX
    X-Fi Music
    NF4 410 based motherboard
    2x Akasa Amber fans

I haven't upgraded it because its an odd shape, and its never given me any reason to.
    lol, how did you manage to get that huge Zalman to fit in there?!? There's hardly any room! :p:

I'll probably upgrade mine in the next few months with a similar spec to yours but with faster CPU, don't think I'll get a Raptor though. Do you think it'd be pushing it putting a nVidia 8 series graphics card in?

ReputationRep:
    My old 250w PSU coped with a very large amount of stuff and I have only recently replaced it with a 350w FSP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayEm)
    lol, how did you manage to get that huge Zalman to fit in there?!? There's hardly any room! :p:
    ~2mm clearance :cool:

(Original post by JayEm)
    I'll probably upgrade mine in the next few months with a similar spec to yours but with faster CPU, don't think I'll get a Raptor though. Do you think it'd be pushing it putting a nVidia 8 series graphics card in?
    A 8600 should be alright, I wouldnt put anything more on though; the power requirements for the GPU cores should be on nVidias website somewhere. The 7600 series was exceptionally low power for its performance, i'd imagine theres something in the 8 series which is the same.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.