Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My posts are staying at 97 lol. It hasn't moved up for days!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    cos your posting in chat :p:

ReputationRep:
    ah I thought it still counted that

thanks for telling me anyway :P

xxx

ReputationRep:
    no worries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soar)
    My posts are staying at 97 lol. It hasn't moved up for days!

xxx
    What a confusing predicament you've found yourself in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugenius 8)
    no worries
    lol it was weird though because i HAVE BEEN POSTING IN GENERAL opps sorry bout caps lock.

And it hasnt been adding them on yet i have them now lol

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Very weird indeed.

ReputationRep:
    I love it when people post threads like this

The best ones are the "This is my x00th post" threads only to find out they're still stuck on the 99th post.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by dangle)
    I love it when people post threads like this
    To be fair it is a silly system.

As if posts in chat don't exist. They're not real posts. They're fakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    To be fair it is a silly system.

As if posts in chat don't exist. They're not real posts. They're fakes.
    I think it's a fairly sensible idea because it doesn't reward general spam. That said, it doesn't stop the occasional piece of spam elsewhere but usually mods will threaten to move it to chat if it is prolonged spamming in areas that add to one's postcount ;yes;

I'm quite happy that my postcount isn't affected by spam. Otherwise my postcount would be probably double what it actually is (taking into account chat and society chat).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I think it's a fairly sensible idea because it doesn't reward general spam. That said, it doesn't stop the occasional piece of spam elsewhere but usually mods will threaten to move it to chat if it is prolonged spamming in areas that add to one's postcount ;yes;

I'm quite happy that my postcount isn't affected by spam. Otherwise my postcount would be probably double what it actually is (taking into account chat and society chat).
    Meh. Apart from affecting your rep power, having a high postcount doesn't "reward" you at all. Maybe only non-chat posts should count towards your rep power, I dunno, but the idea that posts in chat are actually not counted as real posts seems silly to me. Not a case of punishment or reward, it's just that, they are posts, no matter how crap they are, and to pretend they aren't is silly. A post count counts your posts, not your useful posts. That'd be a useful post count. :p:

ReputationRep:
    But what's to stop saddos whose postcount matters oh so much to them just spamming stupidly with single-smiley posts?

ReputationRep:
    Meh. Apart from affecting your rep power, having a high postcount doesn't "reward" you at all.
    And that is the main reason why it shouldn't count in chat.

You can get away with posting one worded posts or smilies (as said by cal) in chat. That shouldn't go towards your rep power.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    And that is the main reason why it shouldn't count in chat.

You can get away with posting one worded posts or smilies (as said by cal) in chat. That shouldn't go towards your rep power.
    No, I agree with you, and I agree that non-chat posts shouldn't go towards your rep power. But they should go towards your post count, because post counts count your posts.

ReputationRep:
    No, I agree with you, and I agree that non-chat posts shouldn't go towards your rep power. But they should go towards your post count, because post counts count your posts.
    I think 2 might be useful. i.e. another one in your profile that has total forum posts.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: Lets all point and laugh at the silly noob :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History_Boys)
    Yep, that took me a while to work out also. Posts in chat simply won't count. I still can't really decide whether this should be allowed or whether it's the right decision. Opinions?
    It's the right decision in my opinion.

When people will post very little more than "lol" and so forth, it's hardly fair that those posts should actually count as posts.

Without meaning to be harsh or anything (I myself have 4500 posts in Chat :eek:), the amount of useful information which can be found in chat could probably be written on the back of a stamp.

ReputationRep:
    Each post in Chat should be -1 onto one's total :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej)
    the amount of useful information which can be found in chat could probably be written on the back of a stamp.
    I'm not so sure. Knowing who is fit and who is minging can come in quite useful

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know what my postcount is anymore, which is weird, because I remember being quite interested in it, and postcounts of other members in general. I think I matured on the forum, or something. :proud:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.