Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Give me some career advice TSR!What do my job prospects look like?I have a 2:1 in Social Sciences (bad uni though!!) and have done an internship, quite a few months work in an international charity, tons of volunteer work but I wasn't able to find a decent job.. Everything I look at tells me I need at least an MA and most people my age have one who works in my sector, so I saved up and this year am studying an MA International Relations in Europe from a good university and will also be learning French/Arabic.However, I have become pretty stressed about it all, I'm so worried MA IR won'tgive me any job. I know it's a difficult industry, but I just want an entry level jobsomewhere, i.e. Assistant researcher at Red Cross etc etc £20,000 p/a. Working abroad in EU/Turkey etc. I don't think I'm asking for too much!!My question is, what are my chances of finding a decent job next year? I will be willing to work anywhere (hopefully Europe) even for a small salary to start,just so tired of working in a gross, sweaty kitchen!!! Just need some hope, because I feel like I have no future at all
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by small.littlefish)
    Give me some career advice TSR!What do my job prospects look like?I have a 2:1 in Social Sciences (bad uni though!!) and have done an internship, quite a few months work in an international charity, tons of volunteer work but I wasn't able to find a decent job.. Everything I look at tells me I need at least an MA and most people my age have one who works in my sector, so I saved up and this year am studying an MA International Relations in Europe from a good university and will also be learning French/Arabic.However, I have become pretty stressed about it all, I'm so worried MA IR won'tgive me any job. I know it's a difficult industry, but I just want an entry level jobsomewhere, i.e. Assistant researcher at Red Cross etc etc £20,000 p/a. Working abroad in EU/Turkey etc. I don't think I'm asking for too much!!My question is, what are my chances of finding a decent job next year? I will be willing to work anywhere (hopefully Europe) even for a small salary to start,just so tired of working in a gross, sweaty kitchen!!! Just need some hope, because I feel like I have no future at all
    Is it only the social sciences sector that you're looking to work in?

I have the same problem as you can see from my signature I studied social care but would like to think, from a decent university!
    Anyway I found it quite hard as I got a 2.2 but I'm working in Media now which I didn't think I would really enjoy and earning £18k. Obviously not a lot but someone has to start somewhere right?

What I'm basically saying is, you certainly need to be open about different sectors. Don't just look into social sciences as it is quite a difficult sector especially if you have little experience.
    The same goes to the salary; you just cannot expect to earn £20k straight after uni - you have to work very hard earn it!

I did some volunteer work (not much though) and was still able to find a paid job with a (not that) decent salary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boreism)
    Is it only the social sciences sector that you're looking to work in?

I have the same problem as you can see from my signature I studied social care but would like to think, from a decent university!
    Anyway I found it quite hard as I got a 2.2 but I'm working in Media now which I didn't think I would really enjoy and earning £18k. Obviously not a lot but someone has to start somewhere right?

What I'm basically saying is, you certainly need to be open about different sectors. Don't just look into social sciences as it is quite a difficult sector especially if you have little experience.
    The same goes to the salary; you just cannot expect to earn £20k straight after uni - you have to work very hard earn it!

I did some volunteer work (not much though) and was still able to find a paid job with a (not that) decent salary.
    Thanks for your reply.

No, im not just looking for social roles, i wouldnt mind anything really, i heard most graduates worked in banking, etc.

Yeah, i just need enough to live on, i dont plan on returning to the uk, id love to work in denmark/sweden/turkey/iceland even just doing admin type of roles!!!

I never used to worry like this until the last fews years of trying to find something, now im so worried, stressed
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply.

No, im not just looking for social roles, i wouldnt mind anything really, i heard most graduates worked in banking, etc.

Yeah, i just need enough to live on, i dont plan on returning to the uk, id love to work in denmark/sweden/turkey/iceland even just doing admin type of roles!!!

I never used to worry like this until the last fews years of trying to find something, now im so worried, stressed
    Which uni did you graduate from?

Not going to lie but I did find it very hard to find my first full time job after graduating from uni. I had my first paid job working part time in retail for 3 years then got another part time job working at uni as a Student Ambassador.

Finding that breakthrough was slow at first, but eventually someone would appreciate your work ethic and will hopefully offer you a job!

I really thought I wouldn't like working in an office, but like most places, you need experience so it was either this job or unemployment for the rest of my life feeling sorry for myself and getting depressed. :/

Don't forget you have to get past the interview hurdle too to be able to get that job, have you been to interviews lately. How did they go?

ReputationRep:
    Which uni did you graduate from?

Not going to lie but I did find it very hard to find my first full time job after graduating from uni. I had my first paid job working part time in retail for 3 years then got another part time job working at uni as a Student Ambassador.

Finding that breakthrough was slow at first, but eventually someone would appreciate your work ethic and will hopefully offer you a job!

I really thought I wouldn't like working in an office, but like most places, you need experience so it was either this job or unemployment for the rest of my life feeling sorry for myself and getting depressed. :/

Don't forget you have to get past the interview hurdle too to be able to get that job, have you been to interviews lately. How did they go?
    Ive had a few interviews, i wont lie they arent my strong point!!! I know interviews are obviously so important, so i want to go on an interview course/ advice at uni so thats simething i need to improve on.

It was a former polytehnic in the North....i really did work so hard after uni, i know i could have improved some things, but i cqnt go bqck now which is why i feel like an MA will be a boost/a help but wont give me a great job straight away.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Ive had a few interviews, i wont lie they arent my strong point!!! I know interviews are obviously so important, so i want to go on an interview course/ advice at uni so thats simething i need to improve on.

It was a former polytehnic in the North....i really did work so hard after uni, i know i could have improved some things, but i cqnt go bqck now which is why i feel like an MA will be a boost/a help but wont give me a great job straight away.
    You definitely need to work your interviewing techniques, it is so important to say the right things at the right time. If possible, try and practice your interview techniques with a friend or look in a mirror as if you are speaking to the interviewer, as sad and mad as that sounds it did actually work for me and how I got my first full time job after uni! :O

Have you thought about registering with recruitment agencies?
    Also are you a recent graduate?

ReputationRep:
    First go to employment agencies like Reed and other's on your local high street or further afield like the city areas because they can find you good jobs with good pay
    And apply for jobs like Trainee Recruitment and Estate agent jobs like Foxton's estate agents. You need no experience for both those jobs and people with degrees have got more chance of getting those jobs. You type Foxton's on google and their website will show their phone number and other info. They give employees free cars and holidays abroad and recruitment jobs give oppurtunities to earn big money, free holidays abroad and some pay £100,000 a year. You can find all the recruitment jobs on Reed and CV Library, Monster, Indeed website if you sign up with them online.

But make sure you also go directly to agencies on the street
    Most people especially on this forum look down on Trainee recruitment jobs and estate agent jobs and prefer to apply for low paid jobs like retail, cleaner, catering or if they have no job at all still complain they can't find work but won't apply for those but iv'e done all those low paid jobs before so i don't want to go back to it. I'd prefer to work in recruitment and estate agent because i have never been on holiday abroad and i could never save money doing all those other low paid jobs.
    Or apply for a fun job like working in cinema's.

When you go to an agency tell them your interested in recruitment, estate agent but if your not that's fine. Their not my ideal jobs either but i don't know what other jobs pay so much money apart from some Admin and receptionist jobs or marketing jobs
    When i did catering jobs i always made sure it involved no cleaning or not working in hot, sweaty kitchens. It depends what company you apply to because some catering jobs only require you to make sandwhiches and serve on the till or just serve customer's their orders when i worked in a posh hotel

I find that people who tell employment advisors in job centres and agencies that they want cleaning, retail, catering, etc only get told about those low paid jobs and never get encouraged to apply for higher paid jobs because they deliberately don't tell people about the good jobs so that's why i wrote to tell agencies you want recruitment, etc. They might not even have those jobs but the point is they will tell you about different jobs that pay a lot. It's fine to have your job you do in the kitchen on your CV but you just tell them you do not want similar jobs like that or they will only ever tell you about the worst paid jobs even if you already have a degree or a masters degree or even if you worked before as a manager because i have seen them doing this in job centre's and work programme's and some recruitment consultants are actually quite evil and stupid like that and that's why i started applying for recruitment because i would tell people about every type of job so it's their chioce, i would not hide the good jobs or deliberately not mention it to certain people just because they have done cleaning, retail before because that's being prejudiced and it's one of the reason's why people stay unemployed longer or never get jobs because they are not told or encouraged to apply for higher paid jobs or had no idea they existed or did not know they did not need experience to get them, they just think it's easier to get people low paid jobs but that is not true as most people struggle to get those or can't even get those.

You can ask agencies about working in Europe if that's what you want but if you mention what type of job you want they will try to find it or something similar
    But you will definitely get a job if you go to agencies on the high street but sign up with several different one's and if they do not ring you every week with an update on whether they found you a job you have to ring them once a week and pester them because sometimes they forget about people because they have so many clients.
    But most important you must dress smart because years ago when i went to an agency i dressed smart and they got me a receptionist job but only because i told them i prefer Admin, Reception. If i had said i want cleaning, retail, catering they would only tell me about those and not any others but all the other people looking for work in the agency were only told about the lowest paid jobs like filling envelopes, warehouse, etc and one girl said to me i wish i was going for the reception job but she's never worked in reception before but all she had to do was lie and say she did reception before, you don't have to give the companies previous address just say you can't remember because it was a long time ago and you were made redundant but i did not have time to tell her this.

The same agency pretended they would call one man back as soon as they find him work but when he left all the staff said we are not calling him back because he came looking scruffy instead of wearing a suit or dressing smart and they said it in front of all the unemployed people in the agency. I thought it was disgusting and i wanted to tell the man they were not going to ring him back but i did not want them to see me going out to tell him plus he should have had common sense and dressed smart because some people think just because they walk into an agency they don't have to make any effort to look good but the staff will judge you on that and some decide not to find you a job because they are working on behalf of the employer so you will go to interviews dressed scruffy because that will make the agency look bad because your representing them when they send you to interviews but if i worked in recruitment and people came in scruffy i would still help them but just tell them to always dress smart when they come to agencies because sometimes if they call people to come in to the agency to tell them about a job they found them they can send people to interviews straight after they came into the agency.

ReputationRep:
    You definitely need to work your interviewing techniques, it is so important to say the right things at the right time. If possible, try and practice your interview techniques with a friend or look in a mirror as if you are speaking to the interviewer, as sad and mad as that sounds it did actually work for me and how I got my first full time job after uni! :O

Have you thought about registering with recruitment agencies?
    Also are you a recent graduate?
    I did register but i live in the north east so i was lucky getting a job as a cleaner tbh.

But yeah, i will def. Practice my interview skills and mqke sure i do better.

I graduated in 2012
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I did register but i live in the north east so i was lucky getting a job as a cleaner tbh.

But yeah, i will def. Practice my interview skills and mqke sure i do better.

I graduated in 2012
    Wow 4 years down the line and you're still unemployed?
    Actually that doesn't surprise me in this day and age.

Its been exactly 2 years today since I've graduated from uni and I'm still in employment. I've done temporary office jobs through agencies until now.

The worrying thing is my former uni course mates are still in their part time retail job since they were 16! :O

It is only going to get worse now that the banks are closing down due to technology taking over society. Retail and Estate Agents aren't doing so well now Post-Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    Wow 4 years down the line and you're still unemployed?
    Actually that doesn't surprise me in this day and age.

Its been exactly 2 years today since I've graduated from uni and I'm still in employment. I've done temporary office jobs through agencies until now.

The worrying thing is my former uni course mates are still in their part time retail job since they were 16! :O

It is only going to get worse now that the banks are closing down due to technology taking over society. Retail and Estate Agents aren't doing so well now Post-Brexit.
    Well ive always worked, ive worked at international charities briefly, and volunteer, a few months teaching in italy etc. And the rest is just crappy catering roles from there....

I know, god thats why im trying to move to europe now!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Well ive always worked, ive worked at international charities briefly, and volunteer, a few months teaching in italy etc. And the rest is just crappy catering roles from there....

I know, god thats why im trying to move to europe now!!
    I know 1 person (my sister's niece through marriage), she's 1 year older than me and has never worked in her life - took her nearly 2.5 years to find a job after graduating from a uni that has bad reputation for employment (has high unemployment rate). But she works in a warehouse...
    She left after nearly 2 years into the job, only to back working there 2 weeks after resigning! :O

Anyway out of curiosity, are you European or British?

If you're a British citizen you may find it hard to keep right of work because of the lack of free movement malarkey...well probably in the next 2 years now that we're out of the EU.

ReputationRep:
    I know 1 person (my sister's niece through marriage), she's 1 year older than me and has never worked in her life - took her nearly 2.5 years to find a job after graduating from a uni that has bad reputation for employment (has high unemployment rate). But she works in a warehouse...
    She left after nearly 2 years into the job, only to back working there 2 weeks after resigning! :O

Anyway out of curiosity, are you European or British?

If you're a British citizen you may find it hard to keep right of work because of the lack of free movement malarkey...well probably in the next 2 years now that we're out of the EU.
    I had to move back to the north east after uni, there werent even admin roles and ive been trying to leave ever since.
    Im british, i know, honestly thats why i feel i have to go to eu now, then hopefully ill find a job there before i finish my MA so i might be able to stay and not come back to UK
    Im so angry and worried about leaving, which means even less jobs and stuck on this island!!

ReputationRep:
    Get a job at Mcdonalds or KFC then work your way up the Social science sector is very competitive so work your way up from being a burger flipper to a restaurant manager then managing a chain of restaurants.
    • Very Important Poster

I dont think you needed an MA.

You do need to improve your applications and interview technique, which you can do from a book and practice.
    Its just a case of refining your technique and keep plugging awat till you convert one of your chances.
    Its the same for everyone so dont panic.

ReputationRep:
    If i can just say that Judge Judys advice is very good advice. Going into the sales field either face to face or on the phone (telesales) with a reputable company will give you so many skills espeically life skills in a short space of time. The training they give you is invaluable and will stand you in good stead. The last time I looked in this area (last year earlier this year) recruitment companies were crying out for trainees and after a year 18months you can be on VERY good money with companies headhunting you.

ReputationRep:
    Try to find a job through job search sites. They do work! I know many people who regularly were using websites to find jobs and they worked perfectly for them. The key factor in job hunting is never to lose hope, cause while you're deppressed, others are successlully getting high paying jobs. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.