Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Wondering what everyone's thoughts was on gamesmanship in football? so like diving, intimidating opponents and blatant fouls. Basically I'm doing a Master's research dissertation on the topic and would be eternally grateful if you completed this questionnaire here: https://goo.gl/forms/8R6MsZVn3IYIKDzA2. I've had a lot of positive feedback for this already, it will give you a bunch of scenarios that you can basically agree or disagree with. Its an interesting one, gets you thinking.

More than happy to do others in return!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZXjamal)
    Hi guys,

Wondering what everyone's thoughts was on gamesmanship in football? so like diving, intimidating opponents and blatant fouls. Basically I'm doing a Master's research dissertation on the topic and would be eternally grateful if you completed this questionnaire here: https://goo.gl/forms/8R6MsZVn3IYIKDzA2. I've had a lot of positive feedback for this already, it will give you a bunch of scenarios that you can basically agree or disagree with. Its an interesting one, gets you thinking.

More than happy to do others in return!
    Soz, I know it's a bit late - but in the scenarios, where the player commits a foul and you ask whether its acceptable or not - you don't always say whether its in the context of accepting the consequences of the foul."your guy commits a handball to stop a goal" you don't say whether or not he then gets carded or sent off as part of the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Soz, I know it's a bit late - but in the scenarios, where the player commits a foul and you ask whether its acceptable or not - you don't always say whether its in the context of accepting the consequences of the foul."your guy commits a handball to stop a goal" you don't say whether or not he then gets carded or sent off as part of the question.
    I understand your point and I had thought about it previously, but part of the research is about the player's 'intentions not to get caught' or 'intentions to deceive' and would so deviate from a response I'm looking for.

Example: "A player trips an opponent as the last man and gets sent off" There is a shift towards people saying unacceptable because of the consequences, but not the action of intent to do it.

There are a few in that deliberately have consequences, like the ones not owning up bad referee calls, but these assess the intent not to own up rather than the consequence of getting a penalty or whatever

I hope this makes sense!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.