Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  146973096624236629119.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  325.1 KB Hi, I would like some help with question 9 please. Basically I managed to get the answer for the question but would like to know the other method to solve it.
    Attachment 565624565626 I don't get how part a could be used to solve b. Also for b I solved it by testing out which value of x for tan will be an exact number. I know that (60-45) will be the best option but how will u know as there are many different combinations that can give 15°. Thanks
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by coconut64)
    Name:  146973096624236629119.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  325.1 KB Hi, I would like some help with question 9 please. Basically I managed to get the answer for the question but would like to know the other method to solve it.
    Attachment 565624565626 I don't get how part a could be used to solve b. Also for b I solved it by testing out which value of x for tan will be an exact number. I know that (60-45) will be the best option but how will u know as there are many different combinations that can give 15°. Thanks
    Try plugging x=15 into the part a) identity.

Post all your working if you get stuck.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Hi, I would like some help with question 9 please. Basically I managed to get the answer for the question but would like to know the other method to solve it.
    I don't get how part a could be used to solve b. Also for b I solved it by testing out which value of x for tan will be an exact number. I know that (60-45) will be the best option but how will u know as there are many different combinations that can give 15°. Thanks
    If you let x=15 degrees then you should get the left hand side in terms of tan(15) which is what you want, and the right hand side should be sin(30) [because it's 2x]. You should know that sin(30) is 1/2; if not, use triangles to work that out or your calculator. You can then get a quadratic in terms of tan(15). Complete the square on it and you should arrive to an answer with a \pm inside. Figure out why you disregard one of them and you should arrive to your answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Try plugging x=15 into the part a) identity.

Post all your working if you get stuck.
    Hi, sin(2*15)= 0.5 but it still doesn't ring any bell how this can be used to work out b. Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Hi, sin(2*15)= 0.5 but it still doesn't ring any bell how this can be used to work out b. Thanks
    Then replace the right hand side with 0.5 and the left hand side should be in terms of tan(15). Solve for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Then replace the right hand side with 0.5 and the left hand side should be in terms of tan(15). Solve for it.
    Hi, thanks for helping I managed to obtain 2+root3 and 2-root 3 following your instruction but I don't know which one to take out as both give me 0 why would it be 2-root 3?

Also if I am not using part b to solve the question , how I will be able to know which value of x will give me an exact answer? For example tan(60) is root 3?

Another question like this is finding the exact value of tan210. How will I know which two values to use to solve for this? There are many different combinations to get 210.
    Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Hi, thanks for helping I managed to obtain 2+root3 and 2-root 3 following your instruction but I don't know which one to take out as both give me 0 why would it be 2-root 3?
    Will come back to this

Also if I am not using part b to solve the question , how I will be able to know which value of x will give me an exact answer? For example tan(60) is root 3?
    You'd have to think about what values will give you tan(15) and work from there, but it is always better to use the part previously as it always links in to help in one way or another.

Another question like this is finding the exact value of tan210. How will I know which two values to use to solve for this? There are many different combinations to get 210.
    You can use the double angle formulae and work with tan(180+30) where you know that tan(180) and tan(30) are rational. You should also aim to create the number using a combination of the two: 30,45,60,90,180 as you should know their trig rationals or it should be easy to work it out.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    You can do a rough sketch of tan(x) and recognise that 2+\sqrt3 gives you a larger angle than it's conjugate. And rightfully so you can check on your calculator that it gives you 75 degrees rather than 15 which makes sense, a translation by 60 degrees. You can draw conclusions from there that this angle is too big in the range 0<degrees<90 therefore disregard it. I'm unsure if there is a more intuitive way of explaining this.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think the above post is rigorous enough; note that 2 + \sqrt{3} &gt; 1 whilst 15^{\circ} is between 0\, and \frac{\pi}{4} where \tan is increasing, so 0 &lt; \tan 15^{\circ} &lt; 1.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.