Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16 and wanting to try horse riding, is this to old to start learning?

How can I learn fast?

Do you think it is acceptable for guys to go horse riding?

I'd like your opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daibhidh)

How can I learn fast?

I'd like your opinions.
    You're never too old! I've been riding for about 9 years and I'm 16 now too. I now work at the yard and people of our age are always starting - I often teach people older than myself. I'm not going to lie and say that as many guys do it as girls, but quite a few do, and sure it's acceptable!

How fast you learn really depends on how natural it comes to you. I was a fast learner, but there are some people who started at the same time as me that I now teach... it all depends.

I reccommened looking around for a good yard and giving it a go! You don't have to carry on if you find it's not for you, but I reckon you'll love it!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:

How can I learn fast?

I'd like your opinions.
    didnt you ask this the other day :confused:

and no you never too old to learn! and loads of guys do riding!? aint all jockies male?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate A)
    You're never too old! I've been riding for about 9 years and I'm 16 now too. I now work at the yard and people of our age are always starting - I often teach people older than myself. I'm not going to lie and say that as many guys do it as girls, but quite a few do, and sure it's acceptable!

How fast you learn really depends on how natural it comes to you. I was a fast learner, but there are some people who started at the same time as me that I now teach... it all depends.

I reccommened looking around for a good yard and giving it a go! You don't have to carry on if you find it's not for you, but I reckon you'll love it!

Good luck!

Cheers, I'll take your advice, I had one lesson today but I'd like a pal to go along with. How quick 'til you get on to jumps? I'd like to get really good at it, although my hips are sore, because I seem to be wuite enthusiastic. Lots of nice girls at the stables as well ,Its a bonus.

ReputationRep:
    I only joined today, I couldn't have asked this.
    Your right, I've seen all them jockeys. That look bloody fun.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, I'll take your advice, I had one lesson today but I'd like a pal to go along with. How quick 'til you get on to jumps? I'd like to get really good at it, although my hips are sore, because I seem to be wuite enthusiastic. Lots of nice girls at the stables as well ,Its a bonus.
    It depends how quickly you pick up all the other stuff - timescales are very difficult in the world of horseriding! It will probably be quite a while yet, there is a lot to learn! You will ache so much, might not be able to walk in the morning lol! You use so many muscles that you don't normally use. I do it all the time and still sometimes ache after a particularly heavy session!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate A)
    It depends how quickly you pick up all the other stuff - timescales are very difficult in the world of horseriding! It will probably be quite a while yet, there is a lot to learn! You will ache so much, might not be able to walk in the morning lol! You use so many muscles that you don't normally use. I do it all the time and still sometimes ache after a particularly heavy session!

And I thought it would be fine since I do lots of other leg exercises.

I'm a bit old to be competing in anything(if I get that far) except showing. Racing looks so fun but I'll see how my legs adapt, todays-upwards thrusting movement on the horse may have been weird but still, I'm not detered although I friend won't touch a horse again.

Cheers Kate A

ReputationRep:
    The only time I get on a horse is to play polo......you should get into that its great fun- don't mess about with all that riding round a school, if you want to gallop flat out etc, try polo

ReputationRep:

How can I learn fast?

I'd like your opinions.
    my mates 17 and he goes horse riding

ReputationRep:
    I used to go, but then my grandma died and I never went back (I went away for 2 weeks, and didn't really feel up to it afterwards). I got up to the point of learning to canter, the first and last time I ever did it was because the horse got scared of something and bolted, but couldn't bolt very fast as it was indoors, so it cantered... Needless to say I was incredibly scared (I was only little).

That was about 5 years ago, and I really want to learn to ride still... Perhaps I'll take it up when I'm a little older and have my own source of income...

ReputationRep:

How can I learn fast?

I'd like your opinions.
    No no, you're never too old! Sorry to be cliched there but it's true!

I've been riding for quite a while now, and have done my stints working for the RDA and at Patchetts, and eventually managed to get my own horse, George (I didn't name him!) and I have trained him up so that now my mum is learning to ride on him and she's 50!

It's easy to learn, I'd say a year tops to master flatwork and the rudiments of jumping, butlike most things becoming really good will take a life time.

As for being male, all I can say is that the majority of those who excell to a high level in equestrian sports are in fact male.

If you want to learn to ride remember to ensure that where you learn is a BHS approved establishment, and that you are provided with a a riding hat of the correct safety standard, these being BSEN1384 or PAS015.

PM me if you have any more questions I'd be more than happy to help

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.