Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Here's the deal - basically I have just completed A2 Levels and will receive my results this month, and thus whether or not I have achieved the grades to be accepted into university. I am fairly confident I should get the required gradesc not because I'm good, but because my course places more value on work and practical experience.

However... I am just not sure. And it's not pre-uni jitters, it's complete always-been-this-way not sure. Please don't rant at me about being stupid to have even applied if I'm unsure, I kick myself everyday for my stupid choices.

The point is what I'm trying to do now. I am considering reapplying next year, thereby taking out a 'gap year'. This is based on a number of reasons, the first and foremost being a change in home circumstances requiring my help and me being an active part in helping out with circumstances. It's not that I'm necessarily needed - but my presence and aid would be very beneficial I believe in restoring things. I have no qualms with staying to help with things at all, I think it's for the best.

Second, I'm not even sure the course is right for me. Without going into detail, I feel I'm torn between two completely polar opposite career interests, and right now at this moment in time I can't imagine feeling satisfied without one or the other. I know I can't combine both, but I'm terrified I will drop out and waste time simply because I don't know which interest I should pursue. Reapplying might give me just that bit extra time and focus away from studies to clear my head and reevaluate what's important to me.

And lastly, I'm pretty much sure I have a mental health condition, of which I don't really want to go into depth - but it has hindered my performance during A Levels, changed my behaviour and character and basically changed who I am. This has had horrible effects on those around me and I worry if I just go ahead to uni knowing I'm not particularly stable it'll have untold negative consequences, and anyone who has ever suffered with depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety or similar may understand just how important just trying to feel healthy is when you're trying to move forward in your life.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I'm just not with it at the moment. It sounds like a straightforward choice but I am just surrounded by extended relations, friends, acquaintances etc who are mostly judgemental, and I know I'll be looked down upon for taking a year out regardless of my choices. I'm just asking advice and maybe what you would do? Thanks everyone in advance.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I would take a year out. I took a year out before university (it's coming to an end now actually), for similar-ish reasons to yours - I was unsure about the course and was struggling with my mental health. Taking a year out was definitely the right decision for me. I'm still not 100% about the course, but I'm feeling much more confident, and generally 'ready' for university now.

Your mental health and well being have priority over education, and seeing as you're so unsure about going to university this year anyway, it would probably be better to take the year out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    If I were you, I would take a year out. I took a year out before university (it's coming to an end now actually), for similar-ish reasons to yours - I was unsure about the course and was struggling with my mental health. Taking a year out was definitely the right decision for me. I'm still not 100% about the course, but I'm feeling much more confident, and generally 'ready' for university now.

Your mental health and well being have priority over education, and seeing as you're so unsure about going to university this year anyway, it would probably be better to take the year out
    Thank you for taking the time to read my rather lengthy post! I appreciate your advice, having gone through simile issues, I just need to hear from people more our age to give me their advice ☺️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snuffleberry)
    Thank you for taking the time to read my rather lengthy post! I appreciate your advice, having gone through simile issues, I just need to hear from people more our age to give me their advice ☺️
    That's alright! Best of luck with your decision! You're welcome to PM me if you like

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.