The Student Room Group

How to find a job

Hey everyone! I have an issue and maybe there is anyone that could help me. :smile: I'm planning to start the studies in the UK from September, but currently I'm not from the UK. There is a problem, because my parents cannot afford supporting me financially. They just cannot pay off all the living cost. I wanted to ask if there is a possibility to find a part time job now, since the studies haven't started yet (it would be the best to find something in Birmingham, cause I'm planning to study in BCU). If anyone has any kind of information, I would be so grateful! :smile:
Original post by JulijaVad
Hey everyone! I have an issue and maybe there is anyone that could help me. :smile: I'm planning to start the studies in the UK from September, but currently I'm not from the UK. There is a problem, because my parents cannot afford supporting me financially. They just cannot pay off all the living cost. I wanted to ask if there is a possibility to find a part time job now, since the studies haven't started yet (it would be the best to find something in Birmingham, cause I'm planning to study in BCU). If anyone has any kind of information, I would be so grateful! :smile:

Hi :smile:

I live in the outskirts of Birmingham so I will be a (great?) help!

Here is the reality of the situation over here and the the UK as a whole; its completely difficult to find part time work.
You may have heard about the Brexit result thing over here.
Well let me tell you: most of the things have been from bad to worse - businesses aren't doing so well:

1) One of the biggest British banks are making at least 12,000 redundancies.

2) One of the longest serving retailers (in my opinion) have gone bankrupt with 8,000 people losing their jobs in the middle of the summer.

Some businesses are likely to have a 'contract' called zero hours. This means that even if you do get offered a job, there is NO guarantee that fixed or set hours can be offered to you, so do beware of that.

Anyway to the subject of finding a job in Birmingham, it is extremely difficult.
Birmingham is known for having one the highest unemployment rate in the country (don't ask why).
I'm not sure where your course is based but its going to be either Perry Barr or the City Centre.

Please don't just look for jobs right in the heart of the city - Birmingham areas are very accessible by public transport.
I live in a place called Walsall which is only 15 mins away from Perry Barr campus and have never found it difficult to get to work.
Financially public transport in this region isn't good - you have to give exact change as the bus driver doesn't carry change. :frown:
But on a good note, you can get a bus pass as you are a student, but there is a hefty charge for that (can't remember how much) and from what I remember - you will still have to pay for your fare at a small discount.

If you need anymore advice, please PM me. :smile:
Original post by JulijaVad

It's very common for students to have a part time job at university in a pub/shop/restaurants/club on or off campus. However it won't cover all living costs- the minimum wage is £5.30 per hour for 18 to 21 year olds and then £6.70 per hour for 21 to 24 year olds, so not enough to cover accomodation, food and social costs so your parents would need to contribute a significant amount still depending on how much your accomodation will cost. Also if you aren't from the EU then you will have restrictions on how many hours you can work. If you are already in Birmingham then go ahead and start looking, some places will take CV's in store, some want you to fil in an online application, all want you to go in for an interview. If you post this in the BCU forum you might find current students who work part time or whose friends do and know which places take on the most students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending