Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need some advice on a small holiday with close friends. Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, i turn 18 in December so I've been thinking of going on holiday with a couple close mates some time next year. My only problem is the fact that I don't really care for the nightlife, going out and getting absolutely wasted, i'm not against it, i'd just rather spend my money elsewhere. I'm more into historic places, like i'd choose to go Beijing over a Caribbean island etc. Spending a day around the pool or beach makes me go insane. But i'm not naive, i know the most of my mates love going out and getting smashed and thus it'd have to also appeal to them in order to not fall prey to boredom.

So, what i'm asking is, where could i go that strikes a balance between the two? I was thinking Prague but I've heard that us British have absolutely ruined the nightlife by being, well, stereotypical British drunks ahaha.

I'd have a budget between £1,000-£1,500, including flights, hotel, and the general day to day. As would my mates since they work and will soon be 18 as well. I only plan to bring 1 or 2 people, big groups cause too much chaos(We can also split the hotel cost if we share).

I'd love to go Russia but alas i'm unsure about how it'd be for 2/3 18 year old British lads. I found a good sounding deal but it's for a guided tour and we'd probably prefer more freedom than that would allow.

I know this is a little wordy, so thanks in advance for simply reading it

ReputationRep:
    Actually, if you want to visit place for a group of people with a cheap budget. You should visit Southeast Asia, especially Vietnam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayGuevara)
    So, i turn 18 in December so I've been thinking of going on holiday with a couple close mates some time next year. My only problem is the fact that I don't really care for the nightlife, going out and getting absolutely wasted, i'm not against it, i'd just rather spend my money elsewhere. I'm more into historic places, like i'd choose to go Beijing over a Caribbean island etc. Spending a day around the pool or beach makes me go insane. But i'm not naive, i know the most of my mates love going out and getting smashed and thus it'd have to also appeal to them in order to not fall prey to boredom.

So, what i'm asking is, where could i go that strikes a balance between the two? I was thinking Prague but I've heard that us British have absolutely ruined the nightlife by being, well, stereotypical British drunks ahaha.

I'd have a budget between £1,000-£1,500, including flights, hotel, and the general day to day. As would my mates since they work and will soon be 18 as well. I only plan to bring 1 or 2 people, big groups cause too much chaos(We can also split the hotel cost if we share).

I'd love to go Russia but alas i'm unsure about how it'd be for 2/3 18 year old British lads. I found a good sounding deal but it's for a guided tour and we'd probably prefer more freedom than that would allow.

I know this is a little wordy, so thanks in advance for simply reading it
    Don't you think you might have more fun (and might spend your money more usefully) if you just went on your own to wherever it is you want to go? I understand why you'd want to go out with your friends, but is it worth it to spend your valuable money on a trip you might not completely enjoy and have to go out of your way to please your friends? Perhaps you might just have a better time if you went alone. Just a thought

ReputationRep:
    You may consider travelling around Southeast Asia. I went to visit some places here and find that they are quite ok and safe with cheap expense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adrianlopez)
    Actually, if you want to visit place for a group of people with a cheap budget. You should visit Southeast Asia, especially Vietnam.
    I was actually thinking about doing that because my Grandad went Asia for about 6 months the other year and has been there for the last 8. He said it's a really nice area and is cheap, only problem he had was when some of the police harassed him for no reason and he had to pay them to leave. I was thinking of going with him one year, maybe a during a gap year or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Settle)
    Don't you think you might have more fun (and might spend your money more usefully) if you just went on your own to wherever it is you want to go? I understand why you'd want to go out with your friends, but is it worth it to spend your valuable money on a trip you might not completely enjoy and have to go out of your way to please your friends? Perhaps you might just have a better time if you went alone. Just a thought
    Honestly, travelling solo intimidates me. I have no problem meeting new people etc. It's just I'm not exactly "street smart" as it goes, like i'd probably end up getting lost in the best case scenario.

I also want to go something with atleast my best mate, been best mates since like year 5 even though we went different high schools etc. Mainly because i plan on going uni and he doesn't so we may not see each other much in the future, one last hurrah you know? I'll probably travel solo during a gap year or something though as it'd be a great experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brayden Lyle)
    You may consider travelling around Southeast Asia. I went to visit some places here and find that they are quite ok and safe with cheap expense.
    I have always wanted to visit somewhere like Vietnam tbh. I'll probably end up travelling around Asia with my Grandad at some point though as he's gone twice, once for 6 months and he's been there for 8 now, he said it's a great experience.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should go with your friends and *a couple sounds about right to me. Are you paying for them as well and how long do you want to go for? *Thailand or Canada springs to mind. Both interesting places with lots to do.*

ReputationRep:
    I heard syrias good at this time of year....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayGuevara)
    I was actually thinking about doing that because my Grandad went Asia for about 6 months the other year and has been there for the last 8. He said it's a really nice area and is cheap, only problem he had was when some of the police harassed him for no reason and he had to pay them to leave. I was thinking of going with him one year, maybe a during a gap year or something.
    Oh sorry about that. However, I think you should spend time to visit SEA one time to enjoy natural beauty and street foods as well

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.