Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are we skipping Windows 9? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Its been in my head a long time now especially as that Windows 10 Upgrade now! dialogue box keeps popping up, but why are we skipping Windows 9, 9 seems like a nice number before the double digits.

Is it because 7 8 (ate) 9?

ReputationRep:
    Because Bill Gates said so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popsiclez)
    Its been in my head a long time now especially as that Windows 10 Upgrade now! dialogue box keeps popping up, but why are we skipping Windows 9, 9 seems like a nice number before the double digits.
    The official reason is that Windows 10 is supposed to be the last version of Windows ever. Rather than having big upgrades every 3 years, they're instead having smaller updates. For example, last November they added several new features, and next month they're adding more new stuff, like changing the Start Menu design. As it's the 'last version', they decided to skip to 10 as it's more definitive etc.

ReputationRep:
    marketing

Microsoft's competitor apple is on version 10 and Microsoft doesn't want it's OS being perceived as a less mature product than that.

ReputationRep:
    Really but it doesn't just feel right having the number 10 now, I feel like we should have 9 now and maybe get 10 in like 2020.

ReputationRep:

Wait... what year is it? 2012? :lol:

My initial thoughts were that Windows 8 was such a failure, that Microsoft didn't want people thinking it's new OS is merely an upgrade from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    Wait... what year is it? 2012? :lol:

My initial thoughts were that Windows 8 was such a failure, that Microsoft didn't want people thinking it's new OS is merely an upgrade from it.
    At first I hated Windows 8 when I brought it home but now I've gotten really used to it and its mannerisms plus I couldn't be asked to install Windows 10 purely because of time. But Its installing as we speak as the deadline for it being free is tomorrow and you can't say no to free stuff.

Cosmetically, because 10 is a round number and better conveys the image of a fresh start.

Technically, because Windows 95 and 98, identified themselves to software as "Windows 9" rather than "Windows 4" which was the actual version number. So naming the OS Windows 9 would have cause a shitstorm compatibility-wise.

ReputationRep:
    It can't be called windows 9 because of how some programs work. Programs that were made on windows 98 or are compatible for it have a piece of code saying so. The code is abbreviated to something like windows9 where the 8 is dropped for some reason.

So basically it is not called windows 9 in order to stop programs from thinking it is running on windows 98.

ReputationRep:
    Screws with the code in Windows 9x programs.

ReputationRep:
    At first I hated Windows 8 when I brought it home but now I've gotten really used to it and its mannerisms plus I couldn't be asked to install Windows 10 purely because of time. But Its installing as we speak as the deadline for it being free is tomorrow and you can't say no to free stuff.
    I had Windows 8 for a year. Coincidentally, I also wanted to lob my laptop out the damn window every single day for that same year. The stupid thing was built around the fact that you owned a touchscreen laptop and got rid of the start menu entirely. What is even the point of a big ass 15" touchscreen laptop that weighs 3 kilos and doesn't even have a 270 degree hinge?

And with the rise of touchscreen laptops, came the rise of manufacturers who decided that they didn't need to make decent trackpads anymore now that you can just click the screen for better accuracy. Now every windows machine decides that they want to copy Apple's clickpad design... badly.

So when you group together Windows 8, a non touchscreen laptop and a god awful trackpad like mine was, I just wanted to commit ritual suicide every time I wanted to work.

Also, I'm not bitter about this experience. At all. Nope.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.