Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    It could just be that your body is getting used to this new way of eating if your diet before this change was very different. At least your doing it properly and not starving yourself or anything stupid

ReputationRep:
    There are various causes.

It could be you are eating so little already your body is moving into starvation mode where it hordes away all the food it can as fat.

From what you are eating you are distinctly lacking fluid intake. Try drinking a pint at least of extra water a day to reconstitute your body fluid. Water helps flush out fat. So does Roibous and Green Teas. Roibous is a south african tea, it reduces water retention which may help.

There is also the simple option that you haven't gained fat, you have simply replaced some of it with muscle. From the exercise etc you are doing it wouldn't be that surprising for your legs to be constituted of more muscle and fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spannerism)
    There is also the simple option that you haven't gained fat, you have simply replaced some of it with muscle. From the exercise etc you are doing it wouldn't be that surprising for your legs to be constituted of more muscle and fat.
    Very very unlikely for her to have gained a substantial amount of muscle to actually make a difference on the scales through a bit of walking and aerobics.

ReputationRep:
    Wine?Every evening?

ReputationRep:
    Get on an erg (rowing machine) a few times a week, for 30-40 mins,( or less, depends how quickly you want to loose weight) if i don't eat much in between training i loose stupid amounts of weight, they are good all round workouts and will tone your whole body, and hopefully help you loose whtever weight you want to loose.
    P.S you've got to work quite hard, push yourself.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    It could be you are eating so little already your body is moving into starvation mode where it hordes away all the food it can as fat.
    Not likely, to say the least. The OP is eating three times a day, which hardly equates to 'starvation mode'. People who literally starve themselves and eat one tomato a day or something still lose a lot of weight, despite starvation mode. I wouldn't call toast, ryvita, jacket potato etc. starvation. How silly.

From what you are eating you are distinctly lacking fluid intake. Try drinking a pint at least of extra water a day to reconstitute your body fluid. Water helps flush out fat. So does Roibous and Green Teas. Roibous is a south african tea, it reduces water retention which may help.
    That, on the other hand, is good advice. Green tea and water are great for speeding up your metabolism.

How long have you been doing this new healthy eating regime, OP? How quickly you notice a change will also depend on whether you were overweight to start with. Also - you're eating a lot of bread, ryvita, potato, which are not the best foods for losing fat at all. You need to cut down on the carbs, and go for green leaves instead.

ReputationRep:
    Could be the diet coke causing bloatedness. Water all the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_alba)
    Not likely, to say the least. The OP is eating three times a day, which hardly equates to 'starvation mode'. People who literally starve themselves and eat one tomato a day or something still lose a lot of weight, despite starvation mode. I wouldn't call toast, ryvita, jacket potato etc. starvation. How silly.

How long have you been doing this new healthy eating regime, OP? How quickly you notice a change will also depend on whether you were overweight to start with. Also - you're eating a lot of bread, ryvita, potato, which are not the best foods for losing fat at all. You need to cut down on the carbs, and go for green leaves instead.

I'm sorry, I have to slightly disagree with you there on a few things. A doctor would probably recommend that you eat no less than 1200 cals a day or your body will start to go into 'starvation mode' where it stores as much fat as it can from your food. You don't have to eat a tomato each day to be in starvation mode!

Also, that thing about reducing carbs to lose more weight may work but only short term. I mean, low carb diets are quite difficult to maintain so it is likely that any weight lost from this method will go back on very quickly. Anyway, it's not like Hen is eating carbs in the form of crisps and cake, they are good sustaining carbs. Eating these kind of carbs will actually help you lose weight because they will keep you fuller for longer so you won't be tempted to snack or binge eat.

Ultimately it is up to Hen about what she wants to do but as a girl who has gone from being 13 stone to 9 stone and kept it off for two years, I would not advise cutting anymore calories or carbs, I think maybe you can even allow yourself a few more calories. Weight loss will be slower but it will stay off forever You sound like you're doing great, sometimes it takes a while for it to start coming off.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snarf)
    I'm sorry, I have to slightly disagree with you there on a few things. A doctor would probably recommend that you eat no less than 1200 cals a day or your body will start to go into 'starvation mode' where it stores as much fat as it can from your food. You don't have to eat a tomato each day to be in starvation mode!
    There's lots of debate surrounding the significance of 'starvation mode', and I happen to think that it is overestimated and misunderstood - it slows your metabolic rate slightly, but not so much that it overrides a calorie deficit. Weightloss would still be fast. The degree of 'starvation mode' likely with Hen's diet is very minor. Both sides of the argument are effectively argued in this thread.

(Original post by Snarf)
    Ultimately it is up to Hen about what she wants to do but as a girl who has gone from being 13 stone to 9 stone and kept it off for two years, I would not advise cutting anymore calories or carbs, I think maybe you can even allow yourself a few more calories. Weight loss will be slower but it will stay off forever You sound like you're doing great, sometimes it takes a while for it to start coming off.
    That's good advice. I only really wanted to say - because Hen was saying she hasn't noticed a difference yet - that when I tried to lose weight last year eating similar things (like toast and jacket potatoes), it took forever. But when I swapped the toast for a piece of fruit and the potatoes for green salads, weight loss was very quick. That's all. But your advice is healthier.

ReputationRep:
    You did not mention how long you have been doing this for. Sometimes the effects aren't obvious straightaway. Have you checked your body measurements? Only I often find that loss of inches is usually a better determinant of success than loss of weight (as weight can fluctuate depending on when you measure it etc..)

What strikes me is that you're not getting much of a balanced diet. You're hardly having any protein or calcium and could do with more fruit and vegetable. I actually think you could do with eating more (but eating properly). I don't want to get into a huge debate about "starvation mode", but it does not apply to someone who's eating next to nothing (as they aren't taking in any calories anyways so will lose weight, although not in a healthy manner), but more to people who drastically decrease their intake while still taking in enough calories for the body to actually have something to store. My personal opinion, is that while you could lose weight by taking in even less, I think that you would be losing it unhealthily. I actually think you should increase your intake (although only in that you are actually eating a balanced diet).

To healthy lose weight, it is suggested you lose 1-2lb/week. To achieve this, you should be burning approximately 500-1000 calories more than you are taking in. From what I see, IMO, you've tried to do too much all at once and have ended up achieving less. You can eat pretty normally (well depending on your definition of normal) and lose weight, just by eating healthier and doing more exercise. I'm not trying to be patronising here, but I actually think your best bet is to go back to eating what you were before you went on holiday (but changing it somewhat so that you gradually decrease your calorie intake/eat healthier) while doing more exercise like you're doing now, I actually think that you would have better and more sustainable results. I'm sure others may disagree though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hen)
    I am getting SO frustrated at trying to loose weight. i have a piece of brown toast for breakfast, 4 ryvita and a piece of fruit for lunch and either soup, omlette or jacket spud for dinner. I walk for half an hour in my lunch hour everyday and do 30 minutes of aerobics/crunches etc when I get home from work. However I'm not shifting any weight at all! All i want to do is loose the couple of pounds I gained on holiday and I'm getting very depressed I have one cup of tea in the morning and diet coke for the rest of the day. I treat myself to one glass of wine in the evening. What on earth can I cut out to help me loose weight?!!!!
    Do you eat no vegetables?

How long have you been doing this for?

Also change the coke to water.

ReputationRep:
    sounds obvious to me

you need atleast 2l of water a day not 2l of fluid such as coke just start downing water to get everything out
    also i hate people that weigh themselves and dont look at themselves a photo should be taken then another one in 2 weeks so you can compare the pictures not weight.. i mean i have put on weight but i have alot less fat then i used to :rolleyes:

notes to take

DRINK 2l WATER A DAY
    DONT JUDGE IT ON WEIGHT JUGDE IT ON LOOKS ETC
    JUST STICK WITH IT

cut the wine, cut the coke and drink 2 litres of water and green tea.

Come back to me in a week and if you haven't lost any weight, i'll eat my hat.

ReputationRep:
    lol, thanks guys there is some really useful advide there....will let you know how i'm getting on in a week or two!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    How long have you been doing this for?

Also change the coke to water.
    You think it's so easy, don't you?

FYI, I am still on 4 cans of Coke per day. Coke is the only happiness I have in my life and I am not going to give it up for good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Pipkin)
    You think it's so easy, don't you?

FYI, I am still on 4 cans of Coke per day. Coke is the only happiness I have in my life and I am not going to give it up for good.
    most unuseful comment ever made ^_^ its ther folks :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.