Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey, I fainted again today after cutting my finger and seeing blood. I have fainted 5 times and 4/5 of those times have been because of blood so it seems like I have a blood phobia. I was just wondering if anyone knows any way to overcome it since I am kind of interested in becoming a nurse but that is impossible if I have a blood phobia.
    Thanks

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey, I fainted again today after cutting my finger and seeing blood. I have fainted 5 times and 4/5 of those times have been because of blood so it seems like I have a blood phobia. I was just wondering if anyone knows any way to overcome it since I am kind of interested in becoming a nurse but that is impossible if I have a blood phobia.
    Thanks
    This might be a stupid idea, but have you tried hypnotism?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks
    There are plenty of nurses who are not keen on blood. If your phobia is so bad that you faint from the smallest amount of blood, you may need to seriously consider whether you could go into nursing, as this would potentially cause you harm and stop you from completing a vital part of your job. There are areas in nursing where you are less likely to come into contact with blood but, realistically, there is always a chance, and you would certainly come into contact with blood at certain points in your training. You would likely have to pay for private counselling/therapy to address the issue.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Is it just your own blood you don't like or blood in general? The second is slightly more problematic, but if you can get yourself to be able to cope with a little bit then you should still be able to become a nurse. Will be harder though, particularly while you're training I'd imagine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.