Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody!

I'm an IB student going from IB1 to IB2, which means that I will be applying to UK unis this fall (HL subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics). I have a broad range of interests in the fields of mathematics, computer science, engineering, etc, which has really made my life difficult regarding course choices.

There are two courses offered by Imperial College that interest me the most: Joint Mathematics and Computer Science (JMC) and Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE). Is it possible to apply for both at IC, and to what extent do guys think it's a good idea to do so? Is there any way that they might reject me because I applied for both? (note that I have relatively good grades: 42/42 IB1 end of year grade)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elefjohn)
    Hello everybody!

I'm an IB student going from IB1 to IB2, which means that I will be applying to UK unis this fall (HL subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics). I have a broad range of interests in the fields of mathematics, computer science, engineering, etc, which has really made my life difficult regarding course choices.

There are two courses offered by Imperial College that interest me the most: Joint Mathematics and Computer Science (JMC) and Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE). Is it possible to apply for both at IC, and to what extent do guys think it's a good idea to do so? Is there any way that they might reject me because I applied for both? (note that I have relatively good grades: 42/42 IB1 end of year grade)
    You wouldn't get rejected just because you're applying for two courses at the same university, but it isn't advisable. You only have 5 application slots on UCAS, but your main issue would probably be your personal statement - you can only submit one, which means you'd either have to do a personal statement tailored to one course (and almost certainly get rejected from the other), or an overly vague statement (which admissions tutors would notice, possibly disadvantaging you at both Imperial and your other three choices).

I wouldn't particularly recommend applying to the same university twice for different courses, as it might suggest to the university that you're desperate to go there and aren't particularly interested in what you study, providing that you end up at Imperial - that may not be the case, but it could be the impression that it gives.

If possible, try and choose one course, and apply to five different universities, all for that same course. I'm not an expert on your choice of courses, but they seem quite different. Ultimately, next September you'll only be studying one subject - so it's better to make that decision now, if at all possible, as it then removes the issue of the personal statement, and removes the risk that occurs after applying to the same university twice. Applying to Imperial twice isn't the biggest issue - it's your task of creating a single application that perfectly suits two different courses, to the extent that it satisfies one of the top universities in the country; if at all possible, avoid that, as it'll be difficult enough creating an application to suit a single subject that satisfies the top UK universities.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.