Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would believe that you need a very serious reason to redo a year?

Having had my first year in uni completely wrecked by mental health and no knowledge of how to support myself through this process, would a Uni consider allowing somebody approaching their third year retake 1st year exams? Or even the whole year?

I have access to substantial notes from a therapist from the time and my first year attendance was poor. The truth is that i've never known the proper processes, what aspects of my work to rectify or options available to support myself, thus why I blindly left my first year with a near fail overall with overstated courage of just feeling healthier and making it up the grades easily (My first year counts for 25% of my degree classification).

It is a serious deadweight on my grades but I very unconvincingly passed the year. I've been accused of using mental health as a reason after I get my results but given I rapidly dropped anxiety/depression during the summer of my first year I was ignorant and naive to it all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaystewartbbk)
    *would a Uni consider allowing somebody approaching their third year retake 1st year exams? Or even the whole year?
    You wouldn't be able to retake or resit, a year afterwards, no. Look up your uni's Extenuating Circumstances policy. They usually have a time limit for submission which ties in with the final sitting of that year's exam board, but it won't do any harm to look. There's a very very slim outside chance that you might get your first year mark adjusted up. I'm 99.9% sure that won't happen, but if you don't ask, you won't get.

The truth is that i've never known the proper processes, what aspects of my work to rectify or options available to support myself,
    Unfortunately the onus is on you to find out the processes and seek support. The uni can only help you if they know there's a problem. Whilst you were probably in no state to take such action at the time, the uni can't be expected to compensate for issues in retrospect that they knew nothing about.

I've been accused of using mental health as a reason after I get my results
    This is a problem with seeking Extenuating Circumstances after you have your results. Presumably if the results had been better, you wouldn't be making an issue of your mental health problem a year later. From an outside perspective it does look exactly like an excuse rather than a reason. You can understand why some people might think that.

I was ignorant and naive to it all
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We all have things we did a year ago (or ten years ago or thirty years ago) that we could have handled better knowing what we do now. It's called growing up. The trick is to let go of trying to compensate for past errors and be able to move forward in your life in a more positive way.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.