Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking at buying a car and I've found some pretty decent ones for around the 3K mark, (good age, good mileage, ect)

Is it better to pay in cash or finance the car?

I do have a job so I can afford monthly payments but surely it's better (and cheaper) to pay it all upfront ?

Also (This is probably a dumb question) but i'm a student and i've lived bills included for three years so I don't have any credit or anything...Can i even GET finance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    I've been looking at buying a car and I've found some pretty decent ones for around the 3K mark, (good age, good mileage, ect)

I do have a job so I can afford monthly payments but surely it's better (and cheaper) to pay it all upfront ?

Also (This is probably a dumb question) but i'm a student and i've lived bills included for three years so I don't have any credit or anything...Can i even GET finance?
    for 3k better off paying cash, finance is only for poser's. We have millions of poser's in the UK now.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad

Cash. It'll cost more paying by finance in the long run. Plus, if you pay for it up front you have the security of not oweing anyone anything.

ReputationRep:

Cash.
    Buying on finance costs more- with the interest on top etc.
    Plus the fact that if you have paid for the car in cash- at least its all brought and paid for- you dont owe anyone anything- and you have the security of knowing that you wont have the monthly payments to afford for the next however long.

ReputationRep:

cash is king, winner takes all
    I will always buy a car with cash upfront and a part exchange
    that what I did when I bought my Mercedes about a month ago
    Spoiler:
    Show
    it was fun i walked into a mercades dealership in my worst outfit (double ripped demin and doc martins no watch or jewellery) no staff may attention to me until i walk over to a e-class 220 AMG saloon and see the price £14,989 and i say i'd like to look inside so a relucant saleman get the keys and lets me have a look (clearly thinks i am a time wasting tyrekicker) then i got to the counter with the keys and say can they ring it up and pull out £15,000 in bundles of £20's you should see the surprised look

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    cash is king, winner takes all
    I will always buy a car with cash upfront and a part exchange
    that what I did when I bought my Mercedes about a month ago
    Spoiler:
    Show
    it was fun i walked into a mercades dealership in my worst outfit (double ripped demin and doc martins no watch or jewellery) no staff may attention to me until i walk over to a e-class 220 AMG saloon and see the price £14,989 and i say i'd like to look inside so a relucant saleman get the keys and lets me have a look (clearly thinks i am a time wasting tyrekicker) then i got to the counter with the keys and say can they ring it up and pull out £15,000 in bundles of £20's you should see the surprised look
    Though got you were buying a Fiat 500?

How's the insurance on the Merc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaymarriott)
    Though got you were buying a Fiat 500?

How's the insurance on the Merc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    and I was going to buy a fiat 500 but then I had £30,000 in cash and didn't want to bank it or keep it a lower protection safe (£10k cash or 100k goods) so i went on a bit of a spending spree
    that where it great I don't drive the merc so I pay for my chauffeur's insurance so it about £500 a year rather than close to the car purchase price if I was to drive it myself

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.