Turn on thread page Beta

Need an operating system - partition problems watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I need to install an operating system on my laptop, since Windows XP got wiped off last year. I got hold of an upgrade disk and so tried to install Windows NT first, but when it comes to choosing a partition to install it on it, all of them are "too large to be formatted." I have tried changing the partition sizes using QtParted on a live cd but to no avail. I am really fed up and need to have an operating system before I go back to uni. Someone suggested I buy Windows XP (Not the upgrade version, the other one, does he mean the "full version?") and do a clean install of that. Will it install ok without asking me to choose a partition?

If anyone could help me with this I'd be really grateful.

ReputationRep:
    The none upgrade version is best I think. I've never used an upgrade disc and am not sure how they work. The way a normal install works is as follows:

Put disc in drive
    Boot computer
    Select boot from disc
    Wait while installer load
    Agree the the EULA ****
    Choose a partition. At this stage I would recommend deleting all the patitions you have on the disc and press install on the "empty space" that will be shown. windows will then make and format a partition which will typically be 8mb smaller than the disc is
    After that it should install fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrWacko)
    Choose a partition. At this stage I would recommend deleting all the patitions you have on the disc and press install on the "empty space" that will be shown. windows will then make and format a partition which will typically be 8mb smaller than the disc is
    After that it should install fine
    I sold off the Windows XP Upgrade disk but still have the full version of Windows NT, so I'll try this now. I didn't even think to try and install on empty space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shockley)
    I need to install an operating system on my laptop, since Windows XP got wiped off last year. I got hold of an upgrade disk and so tried to install Windows NT first, but when it comes to choosing a partition to install it on it, all of them are "too large to be formatted." I have tried changing the partition sizes using QtParted on a live cd but to no avail. I am really fed up and need to have an operating system before I go back to uni. Someone suggested I buy Windows XP (Not the upgrade version, the other one, does he mean the "full version?") and do a clean install of that. Will it install ok without asking me to choose a partition?

If anyone could help me with this I'd be really grateful.

Does it need to be windows? If not there are many free operating systems available that should be fairly easy to install. Try http://www.ubuntu.com for one of the more popular ones.

ReputationRep:
    Tried installing on an empty partition, didn't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Does it need to be windows? If not there are many free operating systems available that should be fairly easy to install. Try http://www.ubuntu.com for one of the more popular ones.

I was thinking about getting Ubuntu, what is the instant messenger like? As good as Windows msn?

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about getting Ubuntu, what is the instant messenger like? As good as Windows msn?
    You can either use aMSN or GAIM. Both pretty good, just offline messaging doesn't work properly.

ReputationRep:
    GAIM is really good. One of the best around!

If windows failes on the empty space just create a partition then install onto that

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you mean with good I suppose. Most of the features work, but the default on ubuntu does not support offline messaging. However, the latest version of kopete does as far as I know, so you could always install the latest build rather than the one pre-packaged with ubuntu. It is mainly if you play a lot of computer games you will find it tricky to get them to run under Linux, but judging from the fact that you are trying to get NT to work on a Laptop, I doubt that is what you will be using it for

But yea, I am chatting with friends over MSN as I write this, so it certainly supports the most basic features.

ReputationRep:

normally i don't bother showing offline contacts... but for this demo i turned it on coz only 1 person is online for me atm :p:

as you can see... it's got contact groups (you can have 1 contact in more than 1 group too.... like under "friends" and also under "uni" ). you can have multiple accounts, multiple protocols (aim, msn, icq, irc etc.) if you have a contact on more than 1 account you can merge the contacts in to one

comes with all the same smilies as msn. can have 1 "buddy icon" for all accounts and also individual icons for accounts. file transfers handled very nicely in a download manager.

things it doesnt do: most of the msn 8 features. no folder sharing. no offline messaging. also i dont think it does webcam stuff yet. also no "sub-names" or whatever you'd call em. only the main name

kopte does web cam and some other stuff but to be honest i nevr use that crap anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrWacko)
    GAIM is really good. One of the best around!

If windows failes on the empty space just create a partition then install onto that
    I think you'll find it's called 'Pidgin' now. Goodness knows why...

Another good open source IM is Bitlbee. Since it's just a server, the advantage is that you can send all of those nasty proprietary IM protocols into the IRC client of your choice. It's also great for networking, remote desktop connections and the protocol support is pretty extensive as far as I know.

Oh and if you (the OP) are still watching this thread and still considering an open source OS, then check out http://distrowatch.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChiefNX)
    I think you'll find it's called 'Pidgin' now. Goodness knows why...
    They were sued by AOL which claimed that GAIM was too similar to AIM ( AOL intsant messager ) despite the fact that GAIM was around before AIM ( that is trademark law for you ). Thus earlier versions are called GAIM while the latest release is called Pidgin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    They were sued by AOL which claimed that GAIM was too similar to AIM ( AOL intsant messager ) despite the fact that GAIM was around before AIM ( that is trademark law for you ). Thus earlier versions are called GAIM while the latest release is called Pidgin.
    but... what? gaim stands for gtk aol instant messenger. how on earth could it have pre-dated aim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    but... what? gaim stands for gtk aol instant messenger. how on earth could it have pre-dated aim?
    AIM was around before GAIM, but the trademark was only registered after GAIM's creation. Originally GAIM changed their name to Gaim ( i.e no capitals ) following pressure from AOL, who eventually trademarked AIM ( this was after GAIM was created ) and pressured Gaim for trademark violation . Eventually GAIM settled with AOL and changed their name to Pidgin.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.