The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

elpaw
leptons could be unfundamental - they could be branes, which themselves could be made of "brane substance" which would be fundamental

but in general terms they are fundamental, they are the smallest, basic

i know you are a god but he may start getting confused.
Reply 41
Nylex
Told you :rolleyes:. What are branes??

n-dimensional extensions of strings, and the basis of M theory
Reply 42
elpaw
n-dimensional extensions of strings, and the basis of M theory

Thank God I'm an astro and not a theorist :smile:.
Reply 43
DazYa777
but in general terms they are fundamental, they are the smallest, basic

i know you are a god but he may start getting confused.

ok, fairenough

in the standard model, leptons are fundamental.
polthegael
I have a head full of random and useless facts :frown:

My daddy used to make me learn vast chunks of Shakespeare and stuff like that... Useless in everyday life, great in pub quizes!

i'm imagining your dad being a bit like the dad in Angela's Ashes, making you get out of bed and promise to die for ireland.....and learn some shakespeare
crana
i'm imagining your dad being a bit like the dad in Angela's Ashes, making you get out of bed and promise to die for ireland.....and learn some shakespeare

hehe... wouldn't that be joyce or yeats or heaney or someone though?! :tongue:
dinkymints

well, er, he did say his dad made him learn shakespeare, so
crana
well, er, he did say his dad made him learn shakespeare, so

lol I know, it was an attempt at a joke :frown:

the comparison made me laugh though, hehe
Reply 48
mik1a
This spin thing seems silly. I get the "too hard for you to learn at college, so we totally lie to you" impression from college. What does it mean?

Something to do with all those nasty quantum number things (I think it's the fourth quantum number of the electron) and has something to do with Pauli's Exclusion principle. Not really sure :frown:
dinkymints
lol I know, it was an attempt at a joke :frown:

the comparison made me laugh though, hehe

lol, sorry, i just thought you hadn't seen the earlier posts!
Reply 50
crana

Can't say I watched/read Anglea's Ashes :frown:

My daddy is about the least patriotic person I know - he certainly didn't go for the trying to make me sacrifice myself for Ireland routine!
Reply 51
dinkymints

Sorry, my daddy's not the least patriotic Irishperson ever - Joyce was! :rolleyes:
polthegael
Can't say I watched/read Anglea's Ashes :frown:

My daddy is about the least patriotic person I know - he certainly didn't go for the trying to make me sacrifice myself for Ireland routine!

i had it on tape being read by frank mccourt (i listen to a lot of books on tape when I'm driving now. i feel much more well read..lol). it's worth a read/listen.. i think. i enjoyed the listening because obviously he does all the accents and stuff but if you are irish maybeyou would read it that way anyway.... if that makes sense!
crana
i had it on tape being read by frank mccourt (i listen to a lot of books on tape when I'm driving now. i feel much more well read..lol). it's worth a read/listen.. i think. i enjoyed the listening because obviously he does all the accents and stuff but if you are irish maybeyou would read it that way anyway.... if that makes sense!

This is one instance where I preferred the film to the book actually... I liked it.
dinkymints
This is one instance where I preferred the film to the book actually... I liked it.

i havent seen the film.. i dont watch many films.

the last film i saw was girl with a pearl earring and then i read the book... I think they went well together - the film gives you a lot of atmosphere and it's about a very visual subject, but the book fills in what happens a lot more.

rosie
Reply 55
crana
i havent seen the film.. i dont watch many films.

the last film i saw was girl with a pearl earring and then i read the book... I think they went well together - the film gives you a lot of atmosphere and it's about a very visual subject, but the book fills in what happens a lot more.

rosie

But what did it say about high energy physics?!? :tongue:
polthegael
But what did it say about high energy physics?!? :tongue:

not much i have to say :wink:
Reply 57
cant be arsed to read through to see whether ti's been answered or not, but a positron is only mathematically an electron travelling backwards through time. We're pretty sure that it isnt an electron doing that, it's just the equivilent of. when an electron and positron collide and emit a gamma ray, it is NOT an electron emitting a gamma ray, bouncing backward through time thus appearing as a positron travelling forwards through time, although mathematically, this is sound.
Reply 58
Willa
when an electron and positron collide and emit a gamma ray, it is NOT an electron emitting a gamma ray, bouncing backward through time thus appearing as a positron travelling forwards through time, although mathematically, this is sound.

Surely at least two gamma rays must be released to conserve momentum...? :confused:
Reply 59
polthegael
Surely at least two gamma rays must be released to conserve momentum...? :confused:

Yeah, an electron and positron colliding produces a pair of gamma photons travelling in opposite directions.

Latest

Trending

Trending