How do the UCAS points work with A level for University? Watch

Theo+84
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I'll be starting my A levels come September and I have the opportunity now to finalize my choices for A level subjects. On research, I came across "6 things to consider before you choose A level subjects" ... one of these '6 things' was to consider the UCAS points so that you can get into University.

Currently, I am not sure which direction I wish to choose as a career. Therefore, I find myself following the subjects I feel that will be the most efficient for me (how much I feel I will enjoy the subject to how much it will be of value to my knowledge). I therefore find myself in position to consider how much the 'UCAS' points will effect my entry to University and pursue this into choosing my A level subjects in the most effective manner.

Coming back to my question ... I am choosing my A level subjects, how will the subjects I choose now take effect on which University I will be accepted into and how do I work out the points I require to be accepted into these Universities?

Thanks, Theo.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Theo+84)
Hi, I'll be starting my A levels come September and I have the opportunity now to finalize my choices for A level subjects. On research, I came across "6 things to consider before you choose A level subjects" ... one of these '6 things' was to consider the UCAS points so that you can get into University.

Currently, I am not sure which direction I wish to choose as a career. Therefore, I find myself following the subjects I feel that will be the most efficient for me (how much I feel I will enjoy the subject to how much it will be of value to my knowledge). I therefore find myself in position to consider how much the 'UCAS' points will effect my entry to University and pursue this into choosing my A level subjects in the most effective manner.

Coming back to my question ... I am choosing my A level subjects, how will the subjects I choose now take effect on which University I will be accepted into and how do I work out the points I require to be accepted into these Universities?

Thanks, Theo.
Most of the higher ranked universities specify the grades in specific subjects you require for entry.
When universities want to be more flexible in how you can meet the entry requirements they may make offers based on achievement of a specific number of UCAS points. The better your grade, the more UCAS points an A level or AS is worth. Either way when choosing your A levels you should be considering which are likely to lead to your achievement of the best results. The UCAS tariff and the points each result is worth is explained on their web site. The entry requirements for a course will be given on the relevant university web site.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Abstract_Prism
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
All A-levels are worth the same amount of UCAS points, OP. You get more points for a better grade, e.g. 100 for a B, 120 for an A, 140 for an A*. Rather than asking for a UCAS entry tariff (e.g. 300 UCAS points), most of the good universities will outright say what grades you need to get (e.g. AAB).

Since you don't know what career path you want to go into, you should take what are called 'facilitating subjects.' These are the traditional subjects like History, English Literature, Geography, Maths, Physics, etc. that are looked upon favourably by universities. You should take two of these subjects, because good universities usually stipulate that you should have done at least two of these 'favoured' subjects. Of course, if you think you can do better in non-traditional subjects than you could in the facilitating subjects, you should take the non-traditional subjects instead.
Theo+84
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Abstract_Prism)
All A-levels are worth the same amount of UCAS points, OP. You get more points for a better grade, e.g. 100 for a B, 120 for an A, 140 for an A*. Rather than asking for a UCAS entry tariff (e.g. 300 UCAS points), most of the good universities will outright say what grades you need to get (e.g. AAB).

Since you don't know what career path you want to go into, you should take what are called 'facilitating subjects.' These are the traditional subjects like History, English Literature, Geography, Maths, Physics, etc. that are looked upon favourably by universities. You should take two of these subjects, because good universities usually stipulate that you should have done at least two of these 'favoured' subjects. Of course, if you think you can do better in non-traditional subjects than you could in the facilitating subjects, you should take the non-traditional subjects instead.
Thank you for the reply, it has given me a very in depth and clear understanding of how the system works.
Naturally I figured that it would be a good idea to take the more traditional subjects -- it's nice to know that my thoughts have been backed up.
I have decided to take Maths and Physics as the more traditional subjects. I have also chosen Business but I have yet to decide my fourth - (which may also be a traditional subject).
Thank you for the response. All the best, Theo.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?