Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I have a question about Windows 10. As you know, today is the last day on which we can upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

A friend of mine wants to install Windows 10 on his Windows 8 PC, but it is having problems at the moment. So I thought about downloading the iso image file for Windows 10 on my Mac (without installing it) and later transferring the file over to my friend's PC and installing it then.

I would like to know if this would work without any complications.
    Also, if I was to download the iso for Windows 10 on my Mac today and then copy it over to my friend's computer after today (when it is no longer free), would I still be able to install it on his PC? Would I need some kind of license, or is it just the download that this offer applies to? i.e. can I download it for free and install it when it is not free? Or would the installation become invalid because I haven't installed it yet?

Please try to reply today, so I know what to do before the offer ends.
    Thank you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Providing you have a legitimate product key to enter you should in theory be able to do the upgrade after today. However nobody knows because we don't know what the exact policy is. It may end up being that all old product keys no longer work with Windows 10.

Simply transferring the ISO isn't enough. You need to burn it to a disk and boot from that or mount the ISO in a virtual drive. Rather than using the ISO it's much simpler to use the media creation tool here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

Simply download it, run it and use it to update to Windows 10. The tool can also be used to create bootable media (such as disks and USB drives) that can be used to upgrade the PC to Windows 10.

The download itself is not free or paid. You pay for a product key. Anyone can download the OS, I can download and install it on any PC now but it won't be legit unless I have a product key. If that product key happens to be from an old machine running Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 then the upgrade is effectively free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Providing you have a legitimate product key to enter you should in theory be able to do the upgrade after today. However nobody knows because we don't know what the exact policy is. It may end up being that all old product keys no longer work with Windows 10.

Simply transferring the ISO isn't enough. You need to burn it to a disk and boot from that or mount the ISO in a virtual drive. Rather than using the ISO it's much simpler to use the media creation tool here:

Simply download it, run it and use it to update to Windows 10. The tool can also be used to create bootable media (such as disks and USB drives) that can be used to upgrade the PC to Windows 10.

The download itself is not free or paid. You pay for a product key. Anyone can download the OS, I can download and install it on any PC now but it won't be legit unless I have a product key. If that product key happens to be from an old machine running Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 then the upgrade is effectively free.
    Thank you very much, I downloaded the iso anyway yesterday and am now going to put it onto a USB drive and see if it works that way.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Hassnen Ayub)
    Thank you very much, I downloaded the iso anyway yesterday and am now going to put it onto a USB drive and see if it works that way.
    You shouldn't run into any issues (and I prefer bootable USB over a CD any day). Putting it onto a USB is straightforward, you may need to mess around with the boot order if you need it to boot from the USB. I don't know offhand if you can run the ISO off a USB from inside Windows or if it works via boot exclusively. And of course whether you can simply upgrade is another matter.

If it doesn't work with the ISO try the download tool I linked to do the upgrade. If that also doesn't work you can try installing Windows 10 fresh (again with the ISO or download tool) and use the original product key from Windows 8.

In the event you don't know the product key you can do a little digging around to find it. Again all of these may not work and you may simply need a new Windows 10 product key now that the update period has ended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    You shouldn't run into any issues (and I prefer bootable USB over a CD any day). Putting it onto a USB is straightforward, you may need to mess around with the boot order if you need it to boot from the USB. I don't know offhand if you can run the ISO off a USB from inside Windows or if it works via boot exclusively. And of course whether you can simply upgrade is another matter.

If it doesn't work with the ISO try the download tool I linked to do the upgrade. If that also doesn't work you can try installing Windows 10 fresh (again with the ISO or download tool) and use the original product key from Windows 8.

In the event you don't know the product key you can do a little digging around to find it. Again all of these may not work and you may simply need a new Windows 10 product key now that the update period has ended.
    After playing around with it a little bit, the USB transfer worked fine. However, I just couldn't install it the PC for some reason. Nevertheless, thank you for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I don't know offhand if you can run the ISO off a USB from inside Windows.
    You can.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Hassnen Ayub)
    After playing around with it a little bit, the USB transfer worked fine. However, I just couldn't install it the PC for some reason. Nevertheless, thank you for your help.
    Any ideas why not? Although the free upgrade has officially finished it's still possible to do the upgrade for free for now. So you haven't missed out.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You can.
    I was reasonably sure you could but didn't want to guarantee it. That said I believe you'd still need to mount the ISO. It won't run if it's just been copied to a USB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I was reasonably sure you could but didn't want to guarantee it. That said I believe you'd still need to mount the ISO. It won't run if it's just been copied to a USB.
    You double click the file and explorer mounts it, yeah.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You double click the file and explorer mounts it, yeah.
    I don't suppose you remember when that feature was added do you? I seem to remember (although could be totally wrong) that in Windows 7 I had to use software to generate a virtual drive while Windows 10 seems to deal with it automatically. Not sure if that was added in Win 10, an 8.X version or if I'm just making up rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I don't suppose you remember when that feature was added do you? I seem to remember (although could be totally wrong) that in Windows 7 I had to use software to generate a virtual drive while Windows 10 seems to deal with it automatically. Not sure if that was added in Win 10, an 8.X version or if I'm just making up rubbish.
    I think it was only introduced with Windows 8, I remember having to use Winrar to read iso files on 7.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think it was only introduced with Windows 8, I remember having to use Winrar to read iso files on 7.
    Ah fair enough. I skipped 8 altogether so never actually noticed it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)

Can you help me, so I've got windows 10 and the blue screen that says 'PC ran Into a problem and needs to to restart" everytime. Once I do restart same messge comes? How can I fix I've also gor a virus stuck on it ad some important files I need urgently pls help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Astudent24)
    Can you help me, so I've got windows 10 and the blue screen that says 'PC ran Into a problem and needs to to restart" everytime. Once I do restart same messge comes? How can I fix I've also gor a virus stuck on it ad some important files I need urgently pls help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll send you a PM so as not to clog up this thread.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.