Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my practical test is coming up soon and although i am usually confident that my driving is correct but i keep getting doubts about my driving and the different driving exercices. I keep getting doubts just when my test is approaching so i would be very grateful if someone could hep calm my fears by answering some questions i have please.

The first question i have is what is the correct sequence when driving in and out of junctions. My test is coming up in one weeks time and i just keep on getting confused. If someone could please tell me the sequence in bullet point format, it will make things so much clearer for me.

Another question which i have is when moving off my instructer tells me to get the biting point by setting the gas and then lift the clutch up slowly, but i find it more suitable just lifting the clutch up gently and then when the car begins to move then i apply gas, is this method correct.

Another question i have is about overtaking, my instructer always tells me that when overtaking check the interior mirror and the offside mirror then position in the space early and you do not have to signal, my question is if during a test there is a bus in front of me and it's stopped at the bus stop what would be the correct method of overtaking and would i need to signal.

Some other questions i have which are short questions are when your approaching traffic light i know you have to check the interior mirrors but do i also have to check the nearside and offside ones, and would it be the same for when moving off? has anyone taken any lessosn at wanstead test center and any advice on what to expect at wantsetad test center.

I'm sorry about how long my questions are but i'm just so nervous i really want to pass first time and with my test approaching i'm just beginning to lose control.

Your replies wil be very ,much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    approaching a junction.........1. check interior mirror 2. brake gently 3. if you are turning, check the side view mirror on the side that youre turning into, left mirror if turning left etc. and then the interior mirror and then signal.
    4. stop

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the quick reply PHKnows it has really helped in calming my doubts about what to do about junctions. If anyone else can help me on any of my other questions it would really help me.

Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lionheart)
    Another question which i have is when moving off my instructer tells me to get the biting point by setting the gas and then lift the clutch up slowly, but i find it more suitable just lifting the clutch up gently and then when the car begins to move then i apply gas, is this method correct.
    Yes, i suppose is the basic answer. So long as you are not stalling it is fine but in my opinion you're probably more likely to stall with this method. However whilst stopped on hills or a slight upwards incline this method is not so suitable as you need the gas and the biting point to get you moving/ stop you rolling backwards.
    Another question i have is about overtaking, my instructer always tells me that when overtaking check the interior mirror and the offside mirror then position in the space early and you do not have to signal, my question is if during a test there is a bus in front of me and it's stopped at the bus stop what would be the correct method of overtaking and would i need to signal.
    Definatley not what i got told, if you are overtaking another moving car you first need to close the gap between you and the car infront that you wish to overtake, before you increase your speed to overtake you need to check your right wing mirror (for bikes and viechles overtaking you) and your rear(interior) mirror. And i got told to always indicate to let other viechles know what you are doing. If it is a bus you'd check the lane you are going into is clear, check your mirrors, indicate and move off.

Some other questions i have which are short questions are when your approaching traffic light i know you have to check the interior mirrors but do i also have to check the nearside and offside ones, and would it be the same for when moving off?
    I'd check them if you have the time just so you know what is around you, the same when you move off to check for motorbikes which will probably have better acceleration than you and can overtake you on the right, and there may be cyclists on your left.

Your replies wil be very ,much appreciated[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you're ready for your test? With so many questions, and the fact that you haven't even covered roundabouts and dual carriageways a week before your test makes me extremely worried.

Do you think you could postpone your test until you've covered all of the areas? It's definitely not right that you've put in for your test considering how much you've still got to learn.

ReputationRep:
    Might be best to err on the side of caution when overtaking a bus. Have a look to see if many more people are loading onto it. It doesn't take long to load or unload a few people so it would probably be better to wait for it to move off. At least then you avoid the risk of the bus moving off whilst you are alongside it! If its clearly going to be there for a while then overtake.

Mark

ReputationRep:
    Approaching a junction (e.g. taking a left)

1) Interior mirror, foot of gas (hazard perception)
    2) Interior mirror, left hand mirror
    3) Signal left
    4) Brake
    5) Clutch down whilst still braking, select gear 2, observe left and right

When moving off on a flat road, I do not put my foot on the gas. However, on an incline I do

When you move off from traffic lights, check all 3 mirrors quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but I've got a question and it's hardly thread worthy. I only started driving last week, but one thing that is confusing me is the proper procedure when breaking.

Sometimes my instructor tells me to just push on the break pedal and other times to push down on the clutch (to change gears). I'm rather confused when to do which method of breaking. Also, whenever I push the break pedal down with the clutch, it's rarely ever smooth as I begin to release the clutch or break pedals too early and it judders a bit forward.

It isn't really a big problem, but it's really annoying me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but I've got a question and it's hardly thread worthy. I only started driving last week, but one thing that is confusing me is the proper procedure when breaking.

Sometimes my instructor tells me to just push on the break pedal and other times to push down on the clutch (to change gears). I'm rather confused when to do which method of breaking. Also, whenever I push the break pedal down with the clutch, it's rarely ever smooth as I begin to release the clutch or break pedals too early and it judders a bit forward.

It isn't really a big problem, but it's really annoying me.
    Never apply the clutch when braking. You lose control of the car the minute the clutch is engaged. And braking is simple procedure of checking mirrors applying the brake slowly and disengage the brake pedal and turn to the clutch to adjust to lower gear.

ReputationRep:
    That means you haven't got the biting point. It can be alright in normal conditions of moving of, but during the waiting time at a traffic light, you would likely to be on the biting point and if you haven't got it and do it your way, you'll be moving of when the light is red...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Decota)
    Never apply the clutch when braking. You lose control of the car the minute the clutch is engaged. And braking is simple procedure of checking mirrors applying the brake slowly and disengage the brake pedal and turn to the clutch to adjust to lower gear.
    So, say when I come up to a junction, crossroads, traffic lights etc. and I have to slow down or stop, I should break to slow down, let go, shift down a gear and then break again as necessary?

ReputationRep:
    So, say when I come up to a junction, crossroads, traffic lights etc. and I have to slow down or stop, I should break to slow down, let go, shift down a gear and then break again as necessary?
    when im stopping i brake, clutch in and brake and stop.
    if just slowing down,, brake till your going as slow as you want, clutch in, gear down (if you need to) and off the clutch and back on the gas.

ReputationRep:
    In between breaking and putting the clutch in, do you let go of the breaks? Or do you keep pressure on the pedal when you're pushing the clutch in?

ReputationRep:
    WRT brakes and clutch, two senarios.
    1 - braking down to stop. Brake smoothly, applying the clutch as well but only to stop the engine stalling. You can stop in any gear.
    2 - braking and continuing. Brake down to the speed you need (for example for pulling through a hazard/corner) - off brake - on clutch - change gear - off clutch. This is the one from above, and yeah, you're off the brakes before you put the clutch in.
    For the L test it's not so important but if you go onto advanced driving avoiding brake/gear overlap (or BGOL as it's known) is a major factor, unless you plan it (for more details, see the AD thread from my sig.)

ReputationRep:
    In between breaking and putting the clutch in, do you let go of the breaks? Or do you keep pressure on the pedal when you're pushing the clutch in?
    if your braking to slow down then no- you just brake as much as is needed adn stop braking and then gear down (if needed) by clutch in and gear down.

if your braking to stop - eg to park- then you will brake and then when your nearly coming to a stop, push clutch in and the whilst the clutch is down , go on the brake to actually stop the car. it takes quite a bit of practise but you'll get it

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.