Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Unizest aspire student bank account

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I'm pretty sure, just like me, many of you have received this email from UCAS about opening a bank account in the UK through unizest from your home country. Have any of you guys had experience with unizest before as I'm still on the fence about doing this since it just seems way too convenient. Would love to hear you guys' thoughts on it! Especially from students who have used this service before ^.^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thiro)
    Hey guys! I'm pretty sure, just like me, many of you have received this email from UCAS about opening a bank account in the UK through unizest from your home country. Have any of you guys had experience with unizest before as I'm still on the fence about doing this since it just seems way too convenient. Would love to hear you guys' thoughts on it! Especially from students who have used this service before ^.^
    Never heard of it-I wouldn't trust it personally. The only way you should open a bank account in the UK is in the bank itself, due to the necessary ID and residence checks legally required to open an account in this country

ReputationRep:
    I have done some work with them over summer helping to send out cards ect... very new business- just started this year. I highly recommend, its a great idea and can vouch for the fact they have brilliant customer service.

ReputationRep:
    I've had an account with them for the past month and so far i've been very impressed. Like you at first I was sort of hesitant but I do not regret my choice at all. Really convenient and their customer service is great. Would highly recommend to anyone coming from abroad to study in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I have had an account with them for three months : it is the worst bank ever.
    First, it costs £3 per month just to keep the account (for many banks, there is no such fee)
    Then it was supposed to be super quick to send funds to the account : it is not : it took me 10 working days
    And apparently cash could be given at Paypoints to transfer into the account : that's not true I have been to 3 different Paypoints, none of them ever heard of this bank
    And unizest said it can take weeks to set up a bank account in the UK : it took me a day to get an account with a real (not online bank I mean) bank
    So I strongly recommend anyone to not open a bank account with them

ReputationRep:
    I would also recommend Unizest as I was able to open an account and to receive my card quickly with them. Whenever you have a problem you can call them to ask for help. They've always been very nice !!! I've had a lot of problem to open a bank account as a student in London as banks ask a lot of papers and it takes so looong... I wish I would have knew this bank earlier as you can open a bank account with them before leaving your home country. It would have saved me a lot of time !!!!!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 12, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.