Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So, I want to become an investment Banker..

This thread is to gain an insight into the field and know if I'm good enough and how to get there (hoping you guys can help)

My predicted GCSE grades - 10A*s 3A

A-Level subjects - Maths, Computer Science, Economics and Biology

Hoping to get AAAB

Are these choices the right choices? Any other advice would be helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    So, I want to become an investment Banker..

This thread is to gain an insight into the field and know if I'm good enough and how to get there (hoping you guys can help)

My predicted GCSE grades - 10A*s 3A

A-Level subjects - Maths, Computer Science, Economics and Biology

Hoping to get AAAB

Are these choices the right choices? Any other advice would be helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Read the FAQ

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Read the FAQ

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    In the forum

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    doesn't matter what you study tbh
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Thanks I'll check it.. But I thought you need a degree in maths or finance & accounting

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks I'll check it.. But I thought you need a degree in maths or finance & accounting

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No you don't

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So what do you have to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    So what do you have to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Whatever you want to do, just get into the best uni possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Reaver Daniels)
    If you have a degree from Oxbridge or another top institution then you can study anything. This is largely because IBs want more variety in their bankers than just a load of maths clones. So arts degrees from top institutions, but from worse ones it's probably still restricted more so to maths and finance degrees. There is also an avenues to pursue with Apprenticeships. The president of JP Morgan came to my school a few months back to give a talk on their apprentice scheme into becoming an IB. Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Apprenticeship scheme is mostly for back office roles so not strictly 'investment banking'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Thanks to the both of you, I want to get AAAA and go to LSE then hopefully get lucky, I just feel ill struggle to find work experience or do extra curriculum (can't I just lie an say I was captain of football team? I mean I was when I was like 8, how do they know?) anyway do i start looking now for work experience like is it even available or when do they open, hopefully I'm clear

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver Daniels)
    If you have a degree from Oxbridge or another top institution then you can study anything. This is largely because IBs want more variety in their bankers than just a load of maths clones. So arts degrees from top institutions, but from worse ones it's probably still restricted more so to maths and finance degrees. There is also an avenues to pursue with Apprenticeships. The president of JP Morgan came to my school a few months back to give a talk on their apprentice scheme into becoming an IB. Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    don't think there are apprenticeships schemes to becoming bankers, could you source this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Whatever you want to do, just get into the best uni possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are those uni's in Scotland still free? Or have they capitalised on those too?

ReputationRep:
    @AdeptDZ

Read the following

Start off with:
    Vault guide to Investment Banking
    Vault guide to Investment management
    Vault guide to Private Equity
    Vault guide to Hedge Funds

Then you can start reading the articles on the following websites:

Wall Street Oasis
    Mergers and Inquisitions
    Efinancialcareers

Decide on what degree you want to do:

No you do not have to do economics but you will have to show the people who are going to hire you that your super passionate and know a lot more **** than everyone else which is why you better get reading now as well as done internships etc.

Get networking:

This is even more important than a degree. Considering most investment banks make nearly all the offers to the internship class or people that have worked their before you better know someone in there who can recommend you.

At uni:

Join the societies related to a career in finance and become part of the exec; this gets you exposure to senior members of the hiring team sometimes.

If you can stomach it and to be houenst you should do a professional qualification eg CFA Level 1 this will show your commitment to the career

Other soft skills:

Doing the technical stuff isn't enough if you aren't fun to work with or don't have interest outside of the industry you won't even get a second glance. Those people who hire you will have to deal with you for 16+ hours a day. They don't want someone who keeps talking about work all that time do they.

So brush up on your soft skills.

P.S happy to help anyone out in first year uni or a levels. Message me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by nahasanarhu)
    @AdeptDZ

Read the following

Start off with:
    Vault guide to Investment Banking
    Vault guide to Investment management
    Vault guide to Private Equity
    Vault guide to Hedge Funds

Then you can start reading the articles on the following websites:

Wall Street Oasis
    Mergers and Inquisitions
    Efinancialcareers

Decide on what degree you want to do:

No you do not have to do economics but you will have to show the people who are going to hire you that your super passionate and know a lot more **** than everyone else which is why you better get reading now as well as done internships etc.

Get networking:

This is even more important than a degree. Considering most investment banks make nearly all the offers to the internship class or people that have worked their before you better know someone in there who can recommend you.

At uni:

Join the societies related to a career in finance and become part of the exec; this gets you exposure to senior members of the hiring team sometimes.

If you can stomach it and to be houenst you should do a professional qualification eg CFA Level 1 this will show your commitment to the career

Other soft skills:

Doing the technical stuff isn't enough if you aren't fun to work with or don't have interest outside of the industry you won't even get a second glance. Those people who hire you will have to deal with you for 16+ hours a day. They don't want someone who keeps talking about work all that time do they.

So brush up on your soft skills.

P.S happy to help anyone out in first year uni or a levels. Message me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the insightful response, I'm going to leave you a message if that's okay.

Helpful 👍🏾

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.