Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Most regulars on the LSE forum will know of most of the offer holders for 2007... me being one of them. I have a place to do straight Law for 2007, but I really would like to do the joint honours course with Anthropology.

Since February I have become more and more interested in Anthropology and I would really love to study it further, and I think that the Law/Anth course at LSE would be absolutely perfect for me. Thing is, I don't want to take up my place for straight Law and then be told that there was no way I could change.

Law/Anth is much less competitive (although this is still LSE we're talking about here) and requires lower grades (ABB as opposed to AAA for Law) so if I do get to LSE I will have met and exceeded the entry requirements for the course. However, if the course is full I know that I will be turned away. I really want to go to university this year, I feel ready, and don't want to have to wait a whole year during which I re-apply.

Do any current students know about course transfers between similar degrees (many of the Law modules are covered in the joint honours) and whether I should risk taking up my place and not being able to do the course I really want? It is a huge risk, and I don't want to make a mistake!

I'm a bit apprehensive about phoning up because I don't want to seem disloyal to the course that they have given me an offer for, as I've heard that they can take the offer away if you want to be considered for another course.

Any advice welcome!

ReputationRep:
    This must be a dilemma...!

ReputationRep:
    dun worry, I think it is quite easy for transfers within the department....

ReputationRep:
    Anth/Law is run by the Anthropology department, whereas straight Law is run by the Law department

ReputationRep:
    Oh, but then,I think more ppl would be applying for ant and Law, and hoping they could be transfered to other departments.... So there may be some empty places there

anyways, the requirement for Ant and law,is much more lower, so I think they would be just more than willing to accept you in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshvinder)
    Oh, but then,I think more ppl would be applying for ant and Law, and hoping they could be transfered to other departments.... So there may be some empty places there

anyways, the requirement for Ant and law,is much more lower, so I think they would be just more than willing to accept you in...
    I doubt people will be moving from Anthropology and Law to other things, simply because the obvious choice, Law, is almost always filled.

ReputationRep:
    I love anthropology too! I would've applied for Economics and Anthropology, but they don't offer it

From this page, it sounds like you can only transfer programmes once you're at the LSE. Are you sure that you don't want to do straight law? TBH I think you'll have no problems switching to Law and Anth, because fewer people would want to switch to it compared to switching to straight Law. But if you're unsuccessful, would you be happy doing straight law? You could always pick AN100 as an outside option

ReputationRep:
    Well I phoned them yesterday and spoke to a very unhelpful woman who told me there was nothing I could do but take up my place and try to transfer after the first year.

I'm thinking of calling up the Head of Anthropology and explaining my situation to them, but I don't know if it will do me any good!

ReputationRep:
    LSE has clearly stated that u r nt allowed to contact spesific departments

ReputationRep:
    When and why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshvinder)
    LSE has clearly stated that u r nt allowed to contact spesific departments
    From personal experience, that's nonsense. Some departmental staff will try to redirect you back to the UG admissions office, but there are a number (you'll be surprised - senior ones even!) who'll listen to your plea and work your case for you.

In short, do it.

[Edit: Just re-read what I posted, and realised it came across as rather aggressive and/or offensive. I apologise if it did. ]

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Knogle

ReputationRep:
    good luck, mypaperheart!

ReputationRep:
    Olivia is lovely (head of the anth department), but she's also hyper-stressed - you might be better off contacting Matthew Engleke, he's the undergrad person and probably best placed within the department to advise you on that one.

Hope you can transfer, anthropology is an amazing subject and I've absolutely loved it! But all transfers are addressed on an individual basis - it's a wait-and-see I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much SB, that's encouraging!

ReputationRep:
    I tried to transfer onto the Law/Anthropology programme but I decided not to in the end. The process was very simple, as long as you satisfy their grade requirements and there is space then there shoudln't be a problem.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 17, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.